Chapter 10

Thomas’s POV

I can’t believe that Riley just left. I was trying to help her get better and she didn’t understand that.

‘I can’t believe that you made her leave. She was our chance to make the play offs and maybe win regionals’ Austin snapped.

‘I was just trying to help her improve and she didn’t understand that. I didn’t think she would take it that was and I didn’t mean to hurt her. She can’t feel that bad’ I said trying to explain myself.

‘Next time you see her, grab her by the wrists and then you might understand how much you hurt her’ Luke spat.

‘Does anyone know where she is?’ Coach asked.

No one said anything. Luke looked nervous and Coach picked up on that. He turned to face Luke and looked him in the eye.

‘Williams, what do you know? Do you know where she is or has gone?’ Coach asked.

‘I know but I’m not going to say’ Luke said firmly.

‘Why not? We need her in the team and the game is three days way. This is our final round-robin game and we want to make the play-offs’ Coach said.

‘I found out by accident and she made me promise not to tell. I’m not going to do that. She will come back when she is ready’ Luke said.

‘Fine, practise is finished for the day and I will see on you Friday for the game’ Coach said.

Riley was still hiding from us. She didn’t spent lunch with us and left classes the second the bell rang. Luke was still refusing to say where she might be. I haven’t seen her so I have no idea what Luke means by grabbing her wrists. She doesn’t spend much time at home and Brent says she isn’t at his house with him and Luke.

I get out onto the field on Friday and I see Riley. We have a home game and she is in her football gear. I was sure that she wouldn’t turn up.

‘Hey’ I said softly from behind her. She turned around and glared at me.

I grabbed her wrists and looked at the tape around them. She pulled them away and held them behind her back.

‘What happened?’ I asked.

‘Wouldn’t you like to know?’ she snapped and walked away.

Coach was waiting for us. He also looked surprised that Riley had turned up. She stood on the edge of the group not talking to anyone. It looked like she was humming something but I wasn’t close enough to tell.

The other team arrived and the game started not long after. All the cheerleaders were on the side and Kelsey was leading them. She gave a flirtatious smile and continued to wave her pom-poms. They looked amazing in their uniforms. Kelsey is such a nice girl and is friendly to everyone. I have never seen her say a bad thing.

I worked to throwing good passes to Riley. She wasn’t talking to me but at least that meant that she wouldn’t snap at me. Coach also didn’t pull me off this week so I am happy with that. We won 14-12 which means that we have made the play-offs.

‘Tasha is having a party so we all should go’ Harry said.

Everyone agreed but we were probably going to go anyway. Brent and I both say Riley leaving and we thought the same thing at the same time. We sprinted after her. Once we reached her, Brent grabbed her wrist. She tried to pull away but Brent was holding on tight.