Chapter 52 - Let's Twist Again

Jess had nervous butterflies in her stomach all through breakfast.  She'd intended to ask her uncle's permission to apply to college in New York two nights before, but her uncle had been in the best mood she'd ever seen him, smiling and gracious with Annie and joking with Doug.  When she'd seen how happy everyone was now that their family was all together again, her resolve to bring it up had crumbled.  With things going so well, she was reluctant to start what she knew was probably going to result in a fight.

But then she'd gone back to school the next day to take her last final exams, and each time Marty had come in the classroom, he'd made a point of not looking at her.  Pretending she didn't exist hurt far worse than his reaction the previous day and when she came home, she was more determined than ever to leave town. 

This was her first opportunity to ask her uncle since he and Doug had stayed late at the office the previous night.  Now that the time had arrived, her heart was racing and her palms were sweaty.  Unable to eat, she'd finally decided there was no point in delaying.

"U – Uncle Jonathon?" she started, hating how shaky she already sounded.

"Yes, Jessica?" he said with a smile.

"I – I asked my guidance counselor, Mrs. Hayes, about going to college – on the East coast.  She said if you call her and say it's okay, she can help me start applying."  Uncle Jonathan's smile wavered and then fell as he stared at her.  "I would like to go to college in New York City," she continued when he didn't say anything.  "Since it's my hometown, I thought it would be good to go back."  

Seeing her uncle's face darken, her body began shaking with fear.  She glanced at Doug for sympathy, but he was gawking with his mouth open, seemingly just as stunned.

"Who gave you this idea?" Uncle Jonathon asked, his quiet tone menacing.

"N – no one.  I've been thinking about it for a long time." 

"Well, I don't give my permission," he said levelly, a muscle in his cheek twitching.

"Please, Uncle Jonathon," she pleaded.  "I really want to go to college.  I want to have a career so I can –."

 "You've got to be joking!" he interrupted loudly, his face flushing.  "A Blackwell female out in the work force?"

"A lot of women work now," she reasoned.  "Don't you have women working in your office?"

"Secretaries!" he scoffed.

"What if I go to school here in the state?" she suggested, hoping a change in tactic would get him to agree.  "I can go to the same one Doug –."  

"You've had enough education!" he shouted, hitting the table with his fist and making her jump.  "You're not going and that's my final word!"

"Dad!" Doug exclaimed, looking like he was in pain.

"Don't get involved in this, Douglas!" Uncle Jonathon warned.  "It's obvious she got this crazy idea because you insisted on going!" 

Doug slumped over his plate in defeat, while Jess struggled to get enough oxygen in her lungs.  He had no intention of ever letting her go, and the realization was making it difficult breathe.  If he wouldn't agree, she had to find some other way to get out or she would be trapped on the property for the rest of her life.

"I – I'll pay for college myself," she said shakily and lifted her chin in an attempt to appear stronger.  "I have my own money."

"No, you don't!" he challenged.

"But – my trust!" she said with shock.  "I do have money!"

"You can't touch that until you're twenty-five," he replied, leaning back in his chair with a satisfied look.