Chapter 45 - Repeat After Me

FIN

"Hey, Fig? Don't look like you've lost your touch. How many of dem 'Merican fellas you do this to while you was over there, cuz?"

My eyes roll yet I can't help but smile. I've missed hearing my old nickname  🥰

Smudge chuckled then released the rope holding the young bull. We've separated some to castrate and they'll be returning to the main herd for a couple more years.

He's Uncle Ngarra's eldest son and is training hard to eventually take over as stock boss one day. Just about all of Kami's side of our family live and work here on the station.

Grampy might've started it. Only it basically belongs to everyone now....is home to all our mob. And there's a lot of us  😁

I've missed all my rellies heaps, but Smudgy and I have always been close. Probably because we're the only two cousins who've spent time away from home. To study and work.

Though everyone has welcomed me back with open arms as if I've never even been away.

Was glad of his nonstop gossip, questions and teasing over the last few days. It's as if he knows that I need to take my mind off other things?

"Not nearly as many as I should've, Smudgy....Yeeeeouch! "

I rub my wrist and wince when the release bar rattles furiously under my hand. Feckin little bugger has given the cage a hearty kick before breaking free.

Can't blame him I s'pose? I'd be pissed as hell too, if I had balls and someone just snipped them.

The old tummy, head and ribs have healed completely in the months since the crash. But every now and then my wrist gives me curry if I jar it too hard. Over the last couple of days, it's been a bit more than every now and then  😫

"YINDI!"

Uncle Ngarra yelled my name over the cacophony of mooing that surrounded us. He rode up and hooked his walkie-talkie back onto the saddle before dismounting.

I'm confused, as he's leading Alinta. And she's loaded up with my swag kit.

"You'll go now to Erindah Spring, niece. Caleb will take over here"  His abrupt order confuses both me and his son.

"What's up, Dad? Why does Fig need to...."  Smudge was interrupted.

"Ceremony tonight. Yindi can't be here. Erindah is far enough away, she can come back tomorrow. Off!"

"News to me"  Smudgy muttered to my raised eyebrows while I mounted Linty.

Then he yelled after my departing back.

"See ya tomorrow then I s'pose, Fig. And have a bath while you're there, cos ya smell like a bushpig! Hey....everyone was thinking it. All I did was say it, cuz."

I've learnt to love my middle finger. It's always sticking up for me.

*

My little croon of bliss as I lay back in the warm water is obliterated by the thunk of the helicopter. When it passes high overhead.

Must be bringing in more blokes for tonight's get-together, I'm guessing?

Erindah has always been a favourite camping hidey-hole for Smudgy, his sister Pye and me since we were kids.

Icy cold spring water gushes out of a chink high in the cliff walls. Then melds with the hot artesian water that seeps up into the pool below. And if you find just the right spot like I have? You got yourself a nice warm little bathtub to soak in.