Chapter 6 - Speak Now Or....

FIN

"You swore! You bloody well swore, Meeka. Stop laughing! "

She'd been sitting cross-legged on the couch opposite me, a glass of wine halfway to her mouth....when she burst into hysterics. Doubling over and nearly falling headfirst onto the coffee table between us.

"Oh, Oh....I'm sorry hun. Don't get yaself all het up about it. But ya gotta admit, that's got to be the funniest thing...."  She spluttered out before banging her glass down.

Grabbed a cushion and buried her face in it to try and smother her howls.

I just shake my head and try desperately to not join in. Yes, it is all kinda funny I s'pose. But also? Hugely embarrassing and not a little sad.

I've learnt in such a short time that Meeka is a 'take no prisoners'  kind of girl. So when she ordered me to fess up about the men that've come then gone, in my short and sorry excuse of a love life?

I really felt I had no choice. But at the same time it feels all sorts of good to talk again, like I do with Aunt Ninny.

Especially after she started the ball rolling. Telling me that Hap had been the one and only in her twenty-nine years.

"He knew how to make whoopee. But it was always him doin the whoopeeing....if ya know what I mean? I'm curious as all hell to know if it's just me, Fin. Or if it was him....men in general?"

"And it ain't exactly a topic I can bring up for discussion at mothers group, is it? So spill!"

If Meeka was hoping for a bodice ripping, steam-inducing, Fifty Shades of Grey  type retelling of naughty liaisons? Then boy Oh boy....

....is she going to be disappointed!

***

I started at a private girl's academy a month after Gramps and Kami sent me to live in Sydney.

And loathed every second of the three years I spent there.

After so long doing my own correspondence lessons, in between chores and life in general on the station? I just couldn't settle into the rigid timetable of classes. Being herded like cattle from room to room. Then listening to someone standing next to a whiteboard.

Droning on and on, about past participles, hypotenuses and historical figures who'd been dead for millennia? Wasn't the worst of it though....not by a long shot.

All the girls in my classes were older than me and had basically known each other since kindergarten. There was no room in their cliques for a girl from the bush. Who thought Eminem was a chocolate, that X-Men was another description for eunuchs and Maybelline was just an old-fashioned girl's name.

From day one, I got branded 'The Hick'.  But that wasn't the only name bestowed upon me. Once they learned about my heritage? Well....

....a lot of those nicknames I just won't repeat.

I didn't fare much better with the Redfern neighbourhood kids either.

They just couldn't accept this stranger in their midst. Who instead of walking down the street to the government high school with them? Went off on the train. To go study in Potts Point with those they called 'posh rich-bitches'.

The stranger who wore a designer uniform including polished black lace-ups, stockings, a pleated skirt, blazer and hat. Instead of jeans, Doc's or thongs and hand me down tee's.

When Gramps and Kami came for a weekend visit to belatedly celebrate my fifteenth birthday? Uncle Ted well and truly stuck his neck out for me.

Kami and Aunt Ninny couldn't help themselves. Standing together behind the kitchen door and eavesdropping on the increasingly loud discussion coming from the lounge room.