Chapter 21 - To Have And To Hold

FIN

"Welcome to the family, darling! I'm Mel and I've....we've all  been dying to meet you."

Norman led me over to the excited gathering of his colleagues. I'm immediately engulfed in the bone-crushing embrace of a smiling older woman. With stunning short steel-grey hair and cheeky eyes.

She eventually let me go but keeps a tight grip on my hands. Mel tilted her head....gazing at me knowingly.

"You'd think we'd be used to it by now. Yet three years on and all this hullabaloo still makes my head spin. What's going through yours, honey?"

My mouth opened. Thank goodness my brain reconnected a split second before any words can come forth. Because I was just about to let my thoughts spill out unheeded.

And they've got no connection whatsoever to the event itself. Nor the crowd of people surrounding us, the fans or even the media.

*

I knew it was going to happen sometime tonight. We'd discussed it after all.

And even though I'm kind of getting used to having my hand held constantly and being hugged. Having kisses bestowed on my cheeks and forehead in public. And in private?

Nothing on this earth could've prepared me for....

When Norman's lips touched mine?

The sub-atom-sized piece of the world that used to belong to me, stopped spinning on its axis. Came to a complete standstill.

My eyes fluttered to a close as did my head. And for the next five seconds or so? All I became aware of was the sound of my heart thumping crazily in my chest. And of his mouth tentatively....gently exploring mine.

I tasted lingering traces of tobacco underneath spearmint. That adorable dag must've popped a Tic-Tac just before he got out of the car?

Think it only lasted five seconds....could've been five minutes for all I know. I wished like crazy that he'd never ever stop.

So this one perfect moment in time would last me forever.

Just like pink sunsets turning purple or sleepy doggy sighs. Children's giggles when their feet hit the dirt as they jump off a swing. Feeling a horse's flanks gather momentum at the exact  moment a canter turns into a gallop.

....And first kisses....

It did end though  😔

When he slowly pulled back, Norman re-arranged his features into a smile that almost swallowed his face up. His eyes were full of....no idea really.

And all I  could think of was....

'Oh, shite. What've you gone and done to yourself now, Fin?'

*

"Sorry, Mel. I slipped into the gobsmacked zone for a minute there. I'm just wondering if there's a place nearby that sells adult diapers? Cos I'm guessing they'll be coming in very handy shortly."

"Bet they'll be more comfortable than this damned G-string too that's for sure. I swear it's on a feckin search and destroy mission!"

I surreptitiously tweak as she hooted with laughter.

"Visible panty line be damned, huh? Take it from me, Fin. By your third red carpet, you'll be gladly rocking the granny undies. They mightn't look elegant, but those buggers can hide a multitude of sins."