Chapter 5 - We Are Gathered Here Today

FIN

After dropping puppy back at the warehouse, Ed has been more than a bit cagey on the drive. Especially when I ask him to tell me a bit more about Annamieke 'Meeka'  Thurgood.

His only response is....

"She's....unique. Very unique. You'll see for yourself."

That only serves to make me quiver in my boots even more. The shakes all but double when the car stops outside our final destination on East 88th Street.

Oh man....I doubt I'll be able to afford to rent cupboard space in this place. Let alone a room?

I clamber out of the town car, then lean back in to unstrap Hien from his baby capsule.

Once I have him in my arms, I gaze up....and up....and up. Shielding my eyes with a hand as I take in the gleaming façade of the house.

It isn't quite  Buckingham Palace? But then again, it's not too far off.

"Whaaaat?  Consider yourself lucky, Eddie. It was either these or my stiletto jelly crocs."

My giggle is nervous when Eddie blows out a raspberry.

After giving my outfit an appreciative once over? We climb the steps. He finally catches sight of my footwear. Rolls his eyes when he plonks the baby capsule down onto the gleaming marble landing.

Could barely hear the bell chime after being pressed.

Though we sure as hell hear the voice inside, as it gets closer to the door.

*

"Mellie? Ya take those knickers of yours off in front of our guests? I'll stick ya backside in the freezer, young lady. That's a promise!"

"Hiya, Ed's. And you must be Finleigh! Don't just stand there suckin eggs, y'all. Come in....come in. I'm just fixin to toss the salad."

"You heard the woman, Fin. Move it!"

Eddie's face breaks out into a mischievous grin as he places a hand in the middle of my back. Gives it a none-too-gentle shove to get me inside.

Almost tripping over the threshold, I do move it. My eyes grow bigger as I walk.

Not because of the grand foyer or the ornate staircases. Yes, staircases as in plural. They flank the entrance and twine up to the next floor.

No....they're glued to the figure in front of me.

Barefoot. Clad in the teeniest frayed black shorts and a white tank top. She's roughly my height. And her strawberry blonde hair bounces in loose curly waves almost to her waist.

When she turns, beckons me with a smile to keep following through another door and down a long hallway? I catch a glimpse of perfectly even and gleaming white teeth, a pixie nose.

And emerald eyes that slant upwards....almost like a cat.

Eventually, we come to a stop in a huge kitchen. Eddie parked the capsule. Then pushed aside the clutter. Sitting atop a table that would've taken up my entire bedroom back at Aunt Ninny's place.

Meeka grabbed a highchair before relieving me of Hien. Plonked him down firmly, did up the safety straps and stuck a bowl of gloop in front of him.

"There! That should shut you up for a few minutes, kid. Now, welcome Finleigh....I'm Meeka. We've howdied but we ain't shook."

A pair of strong arms wind around mine and almost squeeze the life out of me in welcome. I feel my ribs compressing and when she let me go, I see why.

"Meek, what the hell have I told you!  If you don't strap those bazookas of yours up? They'll be down around your knees before you're forty!"