Chapter 16 - For Richer Or Poorer

FIN

Just breathe, Fin....just breathe. It's not his fault. The poor man has no feckin idea....

I have myself a little timeout. Second one today....I'm setting a new record this last week that's for sure. My eyes snap shut once again. But not so fast that I miss the look of utter confusion settling itself on Norman's face.

You know how they say pride goeth before a fall?

Well, my pride did a loop the loop. Kicked me fair and square up the bum then faceplanted me onto the sidewalk of shame.

"I'm sorry, Fin. Did I say something wro...."

"No, it's not on you. I'm the 'feckin harpy'  who needs to apologise. I'm sorry, Norman....I really am. My reaction was so way  out of line. And you didn't deserve to be on the receiving end of it....once more. Please forgive me?"

My voice choked on the remorse filling my chest.

"I will, I mean hell....of course I do. But something flicked your switch. What?"

I don't deserve his gentle concern. And he's justified in wanting to know why I went all Chernobyl on him in the blink of an eye.

But I can't lay bare again the deep pain and humiliation I'd felt. When Phil intimated that I was simply something that he'd bought, kept  rather. His Pretty Woman.

A glorified, eye candy cow yet again. How about that, Fin?

Norman's very own public arm accessory. Fully paid for. Complete with expenses, medical, dental, uniforms, personal leave and pin money to boot.

Talk about life going full circle. Some people just never learn lessons, huh? Namely me.

'Or maybe....it's really a genetic predisposition after all?'

Another evil little blast from the past threw its two cents worth in, shrivelling me up even further.

No, I'm not that woman....I'm not her!

Just as Norman's not Phil, is he?

Yes, I barely know him. But I know that much at the very least. He's simply being honest and up-front with what he wants me to bring to the table.

And now he's also letting me know what he's offering in return. A lot more than the possible residency that everyone's been telling me I'll be crazy to knock back.

Just glad none of them are here now. Otherwise, they'll be locking me up as a totally certifiable lost cause.

Please don't tell me that you think I'm a loony as well? For desperately holding onto what I consider to be probably....my last small shred of self-respect?

Please? Cos if you only knew....

"Bad memory of something, a few somethings actually. Took me back with a bit of a thump is all. Norman, I'm so sorry and I really do appreciate your offering. But I can't....and won't  accept any money from you. Helping you out and being able to stay here in the States, so I can be close by for Unc when he needs help? That's more than I can ever hope for."

"I'll happily sign a pre-nup. You have to protect yourself and you should. Even though I'll never dream of....well you know."

Please God, please let that be true at least?

"I've got my own savings plus the redundancy payout from my old job. So I can support myself. Thank you again for your lovely offer, but I can and will pay my own way. I must."