One Year

Alisha

So, I was gonna bunk at Arbaaz’s place for the night, and I had already called back home and told them so. I had a room for myself at their place, along with a few outfits and necessities. Arbaaz had promised me that the doors of his house would always remain open and welcoming for me, and he had fulfilled it. His house was like second home now, I came down here like it was my best friend’s house. I was hanging out with Arbaaz as he taught me some accounting principles when Malaika came in with Arhaan. 

“Your nephew,” Malaika sat down on the seat, sighing heavily, 

“He ran around the mall and I was in heels. And I had to run after him.” She got the heels off, her blistered skin showing. Arbaaz got Arhaan into his lap and frowned seeing his wife in pain. He loved her with love that was more than love, even after years of dating and then marriage, it was like they just fell in love. 

“Young man, why would you trouble your mom?” Arhaan looked down, knowing he was in trouble with his father. Just as he was with me, he was strict with Arhaan when it came to rules and discipline. Fun was allowed, of course, but any disrespectful or banned behavior would cost us. 

“Sorry daddy.” He mumbled, looking at his mom’s legs. His innocent blue eyes made me melt, but Arbaaz was a better parent than I ever would be.

“Son, your mom is hurt today because you chose to run around the mall. You could have been hurt instead of her, any bystander could have been hurt. We have no right to hurt anyone, do we?” Arhaan shook his head timidly, hands behind his back. I knew he regretted it, because he loved his mother to death, even if he didn’t understand that himself. It was just one of those things that children can’t put into words, but their actions can talk louder. He was one of those children who would make gifts for his mother of bring home earthworms, because in his mind everyone was just as fascinated with them as he was.

“And we’ll be careful next time and listen to mommy?” Arbaaz asked, and Arhaan crooked his head, smiling his hundred watt smile and nodding. He got down and ran into his room, running down the stairs again and into Malaika’s arms. Opening his fist, he showed his favorite football whistle and offered it to her,

“I’m sorry ma.” Malaika smiled slightly, proud of the gesture. Sure the whistle was worth a dollar or two, but offering something that he loved proved how guilty he felt. Malaika closed his fist with the whistle still in it and nodded, accepting the apology. 

“Didi, do you want to play with me?” he asked and I smiled, picking him up in my arms. 

“So what does champ wanna do today?” he shrugged, thinking about how he could spend his evening. 

“Air Hockey.” He suggested and I nodded, agreeing. Getting out of the house with my three year old nephew and his father, we made our way to the club house which had all the facilities one could possibly need. I mean, most people who lived here were so busy earning their millions that they hardly got the time to relax.

Someone got Arhaan a podium so he could reach the table. Even at three years of age, he was taller than most kids but required some rise to reach the height of the table. We agreed on a total of seven rounds, and the loser was supposed to treat the winner with his or her favorite chocolate. Six games down, we were on a draw so this game would decide our fate.

“No!” Arhaan cried as I slid the disc into his slit. Arbaaz chuckled at Arhaan’s enthusiasm about the game, as if his life depended on it. 

“Come on baby, you can try harder, get it inside.” I encouraged him, and decided I was gonna let him win this last match. This little man deserved a treat for himself.