Fifteen

Alisha

My father had resorted to playing mind games with me. The thing was, I was ready for this. Last night was a little shaky for me, seeing the ring and remembering the things I had pushed to the back of my mind. But all it took at a few minutes by myself on the tower, the tower I was so falling in love with, for me to get my mind straight.

I'd told Mike Tyson about the ring and given them the package for their security analysis, but kept the ring with myself. It was my mother's, and if it belonged anywhere, it belonged with me. I wore it in my index finger and looked up to it, as a symbol of both courage and kindness. My mother stayed with that man and I could never imagine how much of love and affection she had for me, raising me right through all the abuse. I couldn't imagine the strength it took to walk out of the fake relationship. She lost, but I was right here. She wouldn't lose again.

She came into my dreams, but said nothing. She smiled at me and stroked my hair and kissed my on my forehead. And that made warmth spread through my body in the rather chilly night.

And the sun broke through the window panels agains. Morning.

"Happy birthday my love!" Lauren hug tackled me and I laughed, thanking her. Yes, today was my birthday and I officially turned fifteen, two days before the opening ceremony. I was hence the youngest gymnast to participate in this year's Olympics and that kind of made me the baby. Not after the all-arounds, I thought to myself.

"I was going to call the FBI. Happy birthday!" Salman said. My phone was on silent and the missed calls and the numerous texts told me he had been trying to call since midnight, but I hadn't noticed. In my defence, I needed my sleep and sanity intact for the day.

"Sorry, had a busy day. And thank you!"

I smiled at the sound of his voice, excited like a little child. I spoke to him, simultaneously going into the washroom to brush my teeth. I spoke to others in my family, all of them wishing me a happy birthday and telling me they wished they were here. I did too, but I didn't let it show. They were going to be here for my event, and they were sacrificing enough work to support me. I could spend my birthday with my friends and only my friends, for once.

"Hey, gotta go. People banging at the door." I told Malaika and I could head disdain in her voice,

"That sounds so wrong."

"Ugh. No, all disney! Bye!"

I was happy to know that my friends and family and decided to stick to the court's decision. After my father appealed in court, we got access to my real birth certificate and the judge forced us to change the birthdate on all my documentation. Since we had no idea about it when Salman adopted me, we celebrated that day as my birthday. But now, I knew my birthday was on the 7th of June, and thus I had all my records changed. My passport was changed, my social security details, my visas were all changed, my school documentation changed and I even had to go through all the bureaucracy with the USAG, FIG and the Olympics committee to get myself re-qualified. But it was all done. And now, I got to celebrate my real birthday.

"Lizzie!" Someone pounded their fist on our door again, and I opened it to see my entire team outside, and others from other teams from all around the world, standing with a small little gift in their hands.

"Happy birthday!" they didn't hug me. They smothered me under their bodies, both the girls and guys in the team, as well as some young coaches we'd grown quite fond of over the weeks.

"Can't breathe." I managed to say and I felt the layers decrease. By the time Sam and Eli, who were right on top off me, got up, I felt my pod sting on my back. But I ignored it and decided not to tell them, they were just trying to make me happy.