Team Work

Salman

The traffic came to a standstill after the crash. People pushed on their brakes and came to a halt, jamming off the two lanes of this terrain. One entire lane was now blocked, while the other moved ever so slowly.

"She's here, we see her." Mike and Tyson told me through the phone after a minute or so of silence. Through the conference call, everyone knew what was happening, they'd heard me scream when I saw the car collide with the mountain, and they'd heard Mike say he saw her. Sohail, Arbaaz, Malaika and Cassie had heard everything, and I could hear them panicking and yet trying to be rational. I zoned out, gazing out the window, trying to get my eyes on my sister.

I saw her too, seconds later. Frail, barely managing to get out of the car. And I could see the man getting out of the car as well, right behind her, and grabbing her by her hair as she tried to run. But she couldn't, and I knew way too well now. There was something wrong, she could barely walk. It was so obvious, my the way her hand was on her chest and her eyes were almost closed, and by the way she didn't give half the fight that she gives even when I'm tickling her. It had to be Pulmonary Fibrosis.

Mike was already confronting the man and he was yelling at Mike's face, telling him to back off. Abandoning the jaguar, I ran toward the mess which was now only ten cars away from me. Needless to say, most people had noticed a luxury car and me running across. Once out of the car, the shades didn't help me much. It was a scene witnessed by many, but nothing would stop me from going to my sister right now. She needed to get away from that man, and I wasn't going to wait for some judge to sign the papers to do it. His hands were in her hair, and she was in a lot pf pain but she hardly moved. I could swear I saw a faint smile on her face, just barely there, but it was there when she heard me.

"Hands off her." I wasn't hesitant to throw a punch to get him off her. He was bleeding already, and so was the person in the driver's seat. He was unable to get off, and that was an advantage. It was three against one now, and there was no way an injured man could fight us off. Alisha wasn't physically hurt, she had bruises and a small cut, but that was it. But she was barely awake.

"Go, go. We'll manage this man." Tyson said and I nodded, picking Alisha up. That man yelled after us, but I frankly didn't care enough at this point. I knew what I was doing was illegal, that following people and taking a fourteen year old away without consent was all illegal right now, but I didn't care anymore. She was barely breathing.

If it was any other situation where she was okay, I would have personally buried the man alive and then had liquor over his grave. But now just wasn't the time. Going back to the car, I set her down and set the air conditioner on high. I knew I had some of her medicines with me all the time, I made sure every single car we owned had some. I knew they were in the trunk of this car, and I went to open it.

I had the drugs, but I didn't know the exact amount she would need. For the first time, my hands trembled while filling the injection with the medicine.

"Listen to me, Salman. 30 cc is the safest, okay. It is a base rate and then add 5 cc if she doesn't respond in a minute." I could hear Arbaaz through my phone. I didn't remember if I'd told him about her while I got her into the car, but I hear his voice and I did what he said. And a minute later, I added another five. And another five. And another five. This was worse than it looked. I looked at her pod, and it made sense. It was broken, and this little one didn't have her drugs for God knew how many hours. That man almost killed his daughter, and didn't look like he had any intention of fixing it.

They waited. Mike and Tyson had the man in their car, and by force, they drove him away with that injured driver. I knew what they were upto way too well. They were taking both of them to a hospital and keeping them away from us, also avoiding all kinds of legal hassles. There was no way they could punish them for rescuing people. Of course the legal team had told them to do so, otherwise they would have been more than happy to let the both of them bleed to death. But these two couldn't go to prison, and the saving act would help their case. A little part of me hated the fact that I was even aware of this, because everything that mattered to me was lying dangerously still.