Judgement Day

Alisha

The court was not like the one I was used to seeing in television sitcoms. There was a lot of crowd, but it wasn't just as fast and vibrant. There weren't sassy lawyers and conservative judges, not the one I had at least. There was a lot more technicality involved, and the proceedings were a lot slower. But after ages and ages, it was finally our turn to put across our points. It was the judgement day, which admittedly came fasted because of the pressure put by the media. My father, as the one who made claims against us, got to go first.

"My daughter," he got up, looking at me. I looked away, holding Salman's hand in mine. He was my legal guardian, and I wouldn't let this man change it. This vicious person would not get to call himself my father, he didn't deserve that. And I didn't deserve to fall into his hands like a trophy child.

"Was snatched away from me under circumstances. I was unable to track her, until one day I realised, Alisha was it. It was her. I took the next flight to see her. My baby."

And there were some crocodile tears rolling down his cheeks. I knew it was a pathetic act, that he didn't give any damn about me or my mother. He just wanted a child, now that his other children were gone. They all hated him now, and all of them had testified against him as being a terrible human being who didn't care about about his family but only about power and status in the society. They told the judge about how they were made to dress up and learn Piano and Korean to impress his friends. Not once had he clapped for them when they got their tune right, and not once had he taken them out for ice cream. Some things Salman would never get tired of doing for me.

"Sadly, these people brainwashed her into thinking I was some monster. I am not. I love her. I want to be able to make up for the lost years. I want to give her everything she deserves. Let me have my baby back."

I rolled my eyes at him, wondering if punching my biological father in his face would be worth the PR nightmare. I was calculating my risks as I looked at Salman. He was beyond pained at what that man said about him, and my family. He was hurt, I could see it in his eyes. I squeezed his hand, letting him know that I was by his side. My brothers knew I didn't want to leave them, but they needed reassurances from time to time. It was easy to fall for the trap people like my father set, the trap of believing their lies and cries.

Salman looked at me and tried to smile, but I knew he felt wrecked. I zoned out of what my father was saying and wrote down something that would give him some much needed strength.

Safe Love, No Worries

He read it and kissed my hand, keeping the paper in his shirt pocket, close to his heart. Taking a deep breath, he got ready for his turn to talk. I didn't know what he would say. He told me it was a surprise. Well, that was my brother. Giving surprises in the court of law. God, I loved them.

"I found a little five year old lying next to the highway, running on the edge of the city's slums. I saw her wake up, with no memory of what had happened, no recall about her life. None. We tried for months and months. We printed ads in newspapers and appealed to everyone. We never found her family. In the end, her smiles got to me. I adopted her as mine.

"And ever since, this girl has been my strength. She's the reason I made it this big. She means the entire world to me, to my family. Arbaaz worked for extra hours to bring her the best chocolates. Sohail gave her piggy back rides after their bickering. Malaika and she have sleepovers. And Arhaan, that little one loved her even in the womb.

"Alisha. The one person we can't live without. My honour, this fourteen year old is the reason I strive harder every single day. I have done everything in my power to help her grow into a beautiful person. I am proud to say, Alisha Khan, is the world champion. Alisha Khan, fought terrorists. Alisha Khan, is vital to Being Human, raising millions for the underprivileged section of the society. Alisha Khan, a human being with a golden heart. Alisha Khan, my sister."