Chapter 1 - Robert

Robert woke up lying on his back with the crook of his arm over his eyes. He didn't know if it was night or day, and he didn't move his arm to find out. He didn't want to be disappointed. He laid there for a while, wishing he was tired enough to fall back asleep again. Then he heard a vacuum start up downstairs. Shit, it was daytime.

He hated being awake during the day. It made him feel guilty to be lying in bed when the sun was up. He much preferred the night. Nobody cared if he spent hours in his bed at night, even if he was wide awake when he did it. And it was the best time to leave his room. If he stayed quiet, no one would know he was up and bother him.

He just wanted to be alone. It was easier that way. No one looking at you with worried expressions. No questions about how you were feeling today. No suggestions that maybe, if you felt up it, you should go out. Go for a walk maybe, or go see your mates. He couldn't fucking take it. He'd already made that mistake a few times, and he wasn't about to do it anymore.

He rolled over and pulled the blankets over his head so he wouldn't see the little bit of light seeping into his room. He tried to turn off his mind and go away.

He was awakened by his dad's voice.

"I see you're still in bed, Robbie." He pulled the covers down and saw his dad framed in his bedroom doorway. He was still dressed in his work clothes and looked upset.

"Have you been sleeping all day?" He could hear the anger in his dad's voice. He was losing his patience.

"No," he replied, even though he had. He knew if he told the truth it would open up an even more angry discussion.

"Are you planning on getting up at all?" His voice was rising.

"Uh, not sure, dad."

"Did you shower today?"

"Uh, no." Shit, when had he showered last? Had it been three days, or was it four now?

"I think you should come down and have some dinner after you have a bath." It wasn't a command - yet.

"I'll try, yeah?"

His dad sighed loudly and closed the door firmly, not quite slamming it. Then he heard his mum.

"Johnny, I didn't hear you come home."

"Has he been in bed all day?" Now his mum was going to hear it.

"I think so."

He started to shout. "It's been -!" His mum shushed him.

"Not so loud," she said quietly. "He'll hear you."

"It's been two weeks already! How long is he going to be like this?" he said less loudly, but the anger and exasperation in his voice was coming through the door loud and clear.

"It hasn't been two weeks yet. It's only been twelve days."

He heard his father make an angry noise in his throat. Robert thought he had a point.

His mum continued, "I think we need to be patient. Give him some more time."

"I think we've been patient long enough. He needs to get up and start moving on with his life!"

"Johnny, he's been through hell! Don't you think he should be the one who decides if it's been long enough?" Now his mum was raising her voice.

His parents arguing about him was new. It had started happening with regular frequency over the last week, and it didn't make him feel good.

"I'm sorry, Alice. You're right." His voice was much quieter, more soothing. "Let's not talk about it anymore, yeah? I'll get changed and then we can eat dinner." He could hear the concern in his dad's voice.