Chapter 11 - All That's Been Lost

By the end of his first day at work, Robert felt better than he had in over a month. The ache in his chest had lessened to a faint reminder he could ignore for stretches at a time, and for a good part of the day he'd even managed not to think about her. He and Joey chatted easily on the way back to Robert's house, swapping observations about the blokes, mostly of how little they'd changed and their individual personality quirks that convinced the two of them they were truly mad.

When Robert was dropped off, Joey said he'd be back at the same time the next morning to pick him up and Robert promised to help pay for petrol. He walked in the house and could hear his mum in the kitchen. He found her just starting to cook dinner and gave her a hug and a kiss.

"So? How was it?" she asked. He detected a note of worry in her voice even though she was smiling at him.

"It went well, mum." He could tell by the way her body relaxed she was relieved to hear it even though she tried to hide it from him, and he died a little on the inside. Did she really think he was so far gone that he couldn't even manage his old job?

"I'll go up to my room and change, yeah?" he said, trying not to let on how he was suddenly feeling.

"Alright, Robbie."

He went upstairs with a heavy heart. He'd been home less than five minutes and he already felt like crap. He took off his work clothes and tried to decide what to do while he listened to the silence. He couldn't go back downstairs. He didn't think he was up to being with his mum, trying to carry on a conversation with her and pretend everything was normal. And besides, there were too many topics they couldn't talk about. But the thought of staying in his room was depressing as hell. He felt like the walls were closing in on him, making him feel like he was suffocating. He had to do something, he couldn't stay there.

He'd go for a run, he decided suddenly. He changed into running shorts and went downstairs, stopping to give his mum a proper good bye before he went out the front door. When he walked through the garden gate, he purposely turned left.

---Then---

Robert had been home for a week and a half and he was getting restless. Georgie had now taken on the role of caregiver for his mum so his dad could return to work for the first time in over a month. The two of them hadn't gone out much since they didn't want to leave his mum alone, but she'd improved enough she could manage short periods of time on her own. Georgie spent most of her time either cleaning, like she had at the flat, keeping his mum company, or helping her in the kitchen while his mum taught her how to cook.

Georgie seemed perfectly happy staying in the house, but it was starting to wear on him they were inside so much. Even though he was busy trying to sort the university application process, it was beginning to feel like he was a prisoner again and he didn't like it. He could see and feel the effects of a lack of exercise on his mind and body. He'd liked being more in shape and was determined not to slip into the bad habits he'd acquired before he'd been kidnapped when he'd been too busy to work out.

"I think we should go for a run," he told Georgie after they'd finished breakfast and were getting ready to dress for the day.

"Don't you think it's too cold?" she said, suddenly looking worried.

"No, not if we dress properly."

"I don't know. I don't think if I have the right clothes for running," she said quietly, looking away. He got the distinct impression she didn't want to go outside whether she had the right clothes or not. It worried him she was still finding it hard to leave the house.

"Let's look through what you have and I'll help you pick out what you need, alright?" he said, putting his arms around her, trying to reassure her. "I think we should start working out like we used to, Georgie. We'll feel better, yeah?"