Chapter 28 - A Disaster Already

"Robert!"

Robert jerked awake in a pitch black room, completely disoriented, not knowing where he was or what was happening.

"Robert!"

Oh, God, he thought, sitting up.  It was Georgie.  Something terrible was happening to her.  She needed him. 

"Robert!" she screamed again.

Then he remembered where he was and laid back on Georgie's bed, with a deep sigh.

"Robert!" 

He could hear the desperation and fear in her voice.  He knew exactly which nightmare she was having. 

"Robert!" 

Why the fuck was no one waking her up, he wondered angrily.  Couldn't May and Marianne hear this?

Then Georgie's screams changed to the long piercing screams of grief and agony.  She'd reached the point in her nightmare where he'd been taken from the flat.  He laid there gritting his teeth as he listened to her screaming over and over and still no one was waking her up.  What the hell? 

Finally he couldn't fucking take it and got up, angrily pulling on his jeans over his boxers.  He yanked the door open and stalked into the sitting room.  As he got closer to the couch, he could see Georgie writhing in the dim light as she let out long piercing screams with choking sobs at the end. 

By time he reached her, the anger had drained out of him.  She hadn't woken him like this since they were back in the flat.  It made him sad to see her back to the screaming nightmares again.  It was obvious May and Marianne cared deeply for her.  Why would they allow her to suffer like this?

He shook her gently by her shoulders, calling her name loudly.  When she woke up and saw him, she cried out, "Robert!" and grabbed onto him, nearly pulling him over on top of her.  He managed to get his hand on the back of the couch just in time to steady himself.  While she clung to him sobbing into his chest, he stayed bent over, not knowing what to do.  He considered pulling her off him, but it didn't seem right when she was still so distraught from her nightmare.  

He sat down next to her with a deep sigh, feeling like he had no other option.  She wrapped her arms around him, grabbing handfuls of his t-shirt as she sobbed into the space between his neck and shoulder.  He could feel her body trembling with fear as she pressed herself against him.  He didn't want to hold her, but he hated seeing how terrified she was.

He put his arms around her with another sigh.  Her hair was loose under his hands and as soon as he felt its silky smoothness, he couldn't help stroking it as he rubbed her back to comfort her.  Then he began shushing her and rocking her a little, just like he used to.  Her body felt so familiar in his arms, like she was always meant to be there.  And her warmth was seeping through his t-shirt, going right inside him again.  He closed his eyes and lowered his head, pressing his cheek against her hair so he could smell her better.  He could feel the terrible ache in his chest easing a little.  He'd forgotten how soothing it was to hold her like this.

  He'd forgotten how soothing it was to hold her like this