Chapter 42 - At Last

Robert was awakened in the dark hotel room by Georgie whimpering and moving next to him.  Just as he pulled her into his arms, she cried out, “No!” and then woke with a start, breathing heavily.

“It’s alright.  Your safe with me,” he said quietly into her hair, holding her tight to his chest.

“Oh, Robert,” she gasped, and put her arm around him so she could press herself against him more. 

He shushed her and stroked her hair, trying to soothe her.  Feeling her body trembling with fear, her heart pounding against his chest, made him feel terrible.  He wished she could sleep through the night without the bastard torturing her.  It gave him a small amount of comfort that at least she wouldn’t wake up screaming now that he was with her.  Perhaps one day she’d manage to recover enough she’d be able to beat the nightmares.

Within a few minutes, she relaxed against him with a sigh as her breathing became more normal.  When she went limp in his arms, he concentrated on her steady breathing until he drifted off as well.  He woke again to a room bright with the morning sun.  He was lying on his side pressed against Georgie’s back, his arm around her, his legs bent to follow the curve of her legs. 

He could tell she was still asleep and he stayed still so he wouldn’t disturb her, enjoying the feeling of being close to her.  She was his forever, he thought, his heart swelling with joy.  He felt whole again, like being with her completed him in some way.  When she began to stir, he gave her a gentle squeeze to let her know he was awake and she started to roll towards him while stretching her arms above her head.

“Good morning, Georgie,” he said with a smile.

“Good morning,” she replied happily.  He leaned in to give her a small kiss on her nose and she put her arms around his neck.

“Did ya sleep well last night?” he asked, with a grin and she grinned back at him, remembering their usual morning chat.

“Yes, Robert very well.  And did you sleep well?”

“Never better.  Best sleep of my life, I reckon,” he said, pulling her closer for a hug. 

She snuggled against him with a contented sigh and began rubbing her fingers over his chin, feeling his stubble.  He closed his eyes and breathed her in, reveling in the quiet moment. 

“I wish we could stay like this forever,” she said quietly.

“Yeah, me too,” he said, and tilted her chin up so he could kiss her. 

She slipped her fingers in his hair as she deepened the kiss.  He rolled over on top of her and she moaned softly, letting him know she wanted the same thing he did.  She clutched him to her tighter and began moving under him while their breaths came quicker.  Then the telephone rang loudly, making them jump.  They looked at each other with wide eyes, still panting when it rang again and Robert quickly reached over to the bedside table pick up the receiver.

“Hello.”

“Hello, Robert.  It’s May.”

“Oh, uh, hello,” he said, looking over at Georgie.  She unconsciously pulled the sheet up to cover herself and began blushing in an adorable way, having heard May’s voice. 

“We’re heading down to the lobby for breakfast, and wondered if you wanted to join us.”  Georgie nodded with a smile.

“Yeah, May.  Cheers.  We’ll be down –,” he said as Georgie threw off the covers and got out of bed.

“Where are you going?” he whispered, covering the mouthpiece with his hand while May said good bye to him.

“I have to take a shower, silly,” Georgie said playfully, while backing away from him completely naked and utterly beautiful.