Chapter 38 - Confessions

When Robert woke up, he knew it was late morning by the amount of sunlight streaming through the pink floral curtains.  While he laid there, he thought about the day before.  He and Georgie had managed to have a good time at the natural history museum.  It was good to see her looking happy while they explored the exhibits, surrounded by families.  He'd even been able to forget for a while he'd be leaving soon. 

And that was his goal for the rest of his visit, he decided as he pulled the pink floral quilt off him.  He'd do what he could to make sure he and Georgie had good days together.  Now that he was at peace about his kidnapping, he wanted to see Georgie happy and enjoying her freedom. 

When he got to the kitchen, all three women were there drinking their coffee.  While he was eating his cereal, Georgie said, "Robert, I want to go to the lake today.  Okay?"  He looked up at her, and she continued quietly, "I mean, it's your last chance to see it – really," and then dropped her eyes to her mug, but not before he saw sadness in them.

Of course Georgie didn't know he'd already seen Lake Michigan with Greg, and he decided he wouldn't tell her.  It would make her happy to show it to him, and he wasn't going to take that away from her. 

"Yeah.  That'd be brilliant," he said with a smile, and then he sipped his tea to ease the pain he suddenly felt in his throat. 

She was right of course, today was essentially his last day in Chicago.  His flight back to London was scheduled for the day after they returned from their trip to Niagara Falls.  But it wasn't like he was leaving Georgie forever, he thought firmly trying to make himself feel better.  They would still be mates.  They'd still be in contact with each other.  And perhaps after a while, when things had died down a bit between them, they could even plan another visit.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea," May said brightly.  From the look in her eyes, Robert could tell she hadn't missed the emotions the two of them were feeling.  "If you like, I can make a picnic lunch while you're getting ready to go."

"Thank you, May," Georgie said, and attempted a smile.

"It's windy today.  It'll be cool by the water," Marianne added, gently.  "You two will want to dress for that – and take jackets too."

"Yes, ma'am," Georgie said more quietly to her mug.

When they were ready to go, Robert was surprised to see Georgie had put her hair in two loose braids, exactly the way she'd had it in the picture she'd sent him, a slight ache returning to his chest at the memory.  At least she hadn't decided to bring his denim jacket, he thought with relief when he saw her carrying a mint green fleece one.  May helped her pack a bag with a light blanket and towels, and then handed Robert a rucksack containing their lunch and bottled water. 

Traveling the now familiar route to the heart of the city by train, they sat silently side by side with their bags and jackets on their laps, Robert looking out the window.  Once they left the station, Georgie led him to the public beach she'd always gone with her mum and Frankie.  As they got closer to the water, the wind picked up dramatically and Robert could hear the unmistakable roar of surf.  Georgie looked over at him with an excited smile, and he smiled back at her, feeling excited himself. 

When the lake came into view, Robert was astonished, as if he really was seeing it for the first time.  When he'd been with Greg, it was a sunny day with hardly any breeze, and the water had been a still deep blue.  Today it was cloudy and the water was an undulating steel grey.  A strong wind blew across frothy white caps as far as the horizon and large waves crashed onto shore. 

Marianne had been right about the air being cooler.  As soon as they set their bags down, they pulled on their jackets against the chilly breeze.  Georgie laid out the blanket and they anchored it with their bags and the bottles of water.  The beach was nearly empty, no doubt because of the weather.