XVI

"I'm so sorry." Heather cried to Amaru. "I didn't know he was capable of this."

"It's not your fault, baby. We don't blame you, aight?" Amaru said soothing her. "Arman is good and he'll be out of the hospital in a couple of days. C'mon, let's go up there and see him."

It was a few hours after the shooting and Arman was in recovery. Out of the three bullets, only one bullet hit Arman and it didn't hit any major organs or vessels—thanks to his bubble coat which provided extra padding. As for Chance, he confessed that he's been stalking Heather since the day before. He will be facing prison time for attempted murder, attempted kidnapping, and assault.

Amaru and Heather walked into Arman's hospital room hand in hand. Everyone else were already in there laughing at a joke Killian said.

"About time y'all got up here." Arman said with a smile. "Come here, H. Stop looking like that."

Heather walked over to him and carefully hugged him. "I'm so sorry, Arman."

"You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm good and Micah wasn't hurt. That's all that matters." Arman told her.

"If you need anything, just let—"

"I need you to chill." Arman said as he chuckled. "I'm good."

Heather sighed. "I just feel terrible."

"Baby, what'd I tell you?" Amaru chimed in. "Nobody blames you. All of the blame is on Chance. Micah is over there living his best life as if nothing happened, Arman's injury is minor, and that fool is in jail. Everything is gonna be alright."

"Only thing that's hurt is my feelings because that nigga messed up my favorite coat." Arman said jokingly, but he was serious.

"Well, can I buy you another one?" Heather asked. "It'll make me feel better."

Arman smiled. "Yes—only because it'll make you feel better."

-

Heather and Amaru stood in the shower together as Amaru washed her hair. Heather was still a wreck and Dear and Cynthia offered to keep Micah for the night. They also kept Killian due to Big Mama staying at the hospital with Arman.

Amaru planted kisses on Heather's neck as massaged her scalp. Heather opened her eyes and smiled at him. She felt so calm in his presence as he continued to pamper her. He was definitely making the day's stress go away.

"What you smiling for?" Amaru teased as he smiled back.

"You make me so happy. I love you." Heather replied.

"I love you too, beautiful. I'm glad I have the power of making you happy." He said, kissing her lips. "Let's rinse your hair out."

"Amaru?" Heather said as he rinsed her hair.

"Yeah, what's up?" Amaru replied.

"Can we get married next Saturday? Just me, you, and the kids?" She asked, catching Amaru by surprise.

"Heather." Amaru chuckled nervously. "I thought we were going to wait until the summer so they won't switch Micah's class."

Heather sighed. "I forgot. I just love you so much and you've made me feel so special and protected these past few months. I just love where our relationship is going and I really want to be with you forever."

Amaru smirked. "Did you just propose to me?"

Heather blushed as she buried her face into Amaru's chest. "I don't know."

Amaru laughed. "C'mon, the water is getting cold and I need to put conditioner on your hair."

The two of them got out of the shower and wrapped their towels around their bodies. The both of them dried off and put lotion on each other's bodies before getting dressed in their night clothes.

Amaru ended up putting leave in conditioner in Heather's hair per her request. She was a lazy natural and did not deep condition her hair after every wash. Afterwards, the two of them cuddled together in bed as they caught up on their favorite anime.

"Amaru." Heather said.

"Yeah, baby."

"Do you think you can get the boys? I miss them." Heather asked.

"Heather, it's twenty degrees outside. I love you, but I'm not going out there. We can get them in the morning." Amaru told her.

"Amaru, please." Heather whined.

"No, baby. It's too cold. I'll get them in the morning." Heather pouted and turned her back towards Amaru, making him suck his teeth. "Gah damn, girl! I'll be back—shit!" He said as he got up from the bed.

-

Amaru woke up and grunted asked he pushed Killian's foot off his face. He looked towards Heather who was asleep with Micah asleep on top of her. Amaru wished Killian would sleep like that instead of torturing him with slaps and kicks.

Amaru got up and decided to make breakfast for everyone. He went to the bathroom to brush his teeth and wash his face before going downstairs to Heather's kitchen. He decided to call Big Mama to make sure she and Arman didn't need anything, which they didn't thanks to Cynthia.

Heather walked into the kitchen with Killian trailing behind her and Micah in her arms. They were just in time because Amaru was fixing the last plate.

"Good morning, daddy." Killian said as he walked up to his father.

"Good morning, son." Amaru said, kissing the top of his forehead. "Good morning, baby. Good morning, little man."

"Good morning." Heather replied. "What'd you cook?"

"Pancakes, eggs, and sausage." He said as he took Micah away from her and placed him down on his feet. Amaru picked up the plate he made for Heather and handed it to her. "Go ahead and eat. I got the boys."

Heather smiled and nodded as she took her plate from Amaru and went to eat in the living room so she could catch up on her shows. Amaru instructed Killian to help Micah in his high chair so he could hand out their plates.

"Baby, I forgot the syrup." Heather said from the living room.

"Okay, baby. Give me a second." Amaru replied as he got the boys settled. Once he was done, he gave Heather the syrup and went back to eat his own food.

After breakfast, the four of them went to see Arman. He was going to be released from the hospital the next day and will be staying with Big Mama until he's fully healed.

"Micah been okay?" Arman asked Heather. "He was pretty scared when everything happened."

"He hasn't been displaying any signs of trauma. I think he's fine." Heather replied as she glanced at him while he showed Big Mama a toy.

"So, how did all of this shit happen?" Amaru asked.

"Well, Micah and I walked out of SugaShack and I put him in the car. After I closed the door, the nigga approached me out of nowhere and asked me was I fucking H and what was I doing with his son. I told him that I wasn't fucking H but my cousin was. That's when he—fafafa—shot me with his non-aiming ass. Next thing I know, I'm stretched out on the damn ground." Arman explained, making Heather and Amaru shake their heads.

"You can never tell a story right." Amaru told him.

"What's wrong with how I told the story?" Arman asked.

Amaru chuckled. "Nothing, man. Why yo girl ain't here?"

"Stop playing with me." Arman said as he mugged Amaru. Arman got his heart broken a couple of weeks ago by the girl he thought was going to last.

"Nah, bruh. It's my turn to have fun now." Amaru joked.

"Aunt Mom! Get yo son!" Arman said, grabbing Big Mama's attention.

"Amaru, come sit over here." Big Mama told him.

"Mama, I—"

"Over here now!" Big Mama snapped.

Heather and Arman began to laugh as Amaru walked over to where Big Mama told him to sit with his head bowed. "You're definitely Killian's father." Heather said.

-
-
-
-
-