II

Heather tucked her hair behind her ear as she rocked her two year old son Micah to sleep while looking over her students' reading and comprehension skills. She would struggle some nights due to her son being clingy at times and her boyfriend Chance not being around as he should be due to work. It could be stressful, but she always managed—somehow.

The front door to the apartment opened and shut as Chance walked through the door. He kicked off his work shoes at the door like he usually did to avoid tracking any dirt in their home. He walked into the living room while loosening his tie to find his girlfriend doing her motherly and teacherly duties.

"Sup, baby?" Chance said, kissing her forehead.

Heather glanced up at him. "Hey." Unhappy was an understatement for Heather. She constantly found herself annoyed by Chance.

"Damn, pissed at me again?" Chance questioned. "I told you that I was going to pull some overtime, baby. If I didn't, then I wouldn't have been able to make my biggest sell of the month."

"But you also told me that you were gonna help me out with Micah so I could get some work done." Heather said with attitude evident in her voice.

"Look, I'm sorry but the money needs to be made and your teacher's salary is not going to pay all the bills." Chance retorted.

Heather sighed deeply and nodded. "Okay, Chance. I'll keep that in mind."

"I'm just saying—"

"You said enough, Chance. I get it." Heather interrupted, not wanting to hear anymore. Ever since he got a promotion at his job as the lead salesman, Chance would act as if he's better than everyone surrounding him.

"Did you cook?" He asked.

"Yes, spaghetti."

Chance frowned. "Spaghetti?"

Heather slammed her pen down on her notebook and glared at him. "Look, your son has been cranky and clingy ever since I picked him up from my mama's house. You weren't here to help and I have shit to do for work, so I had to make something quick and easy. You can take it or leave it—I really don't give a fuck."

Chance scoffed. "I'm leaving it. I'm about to go out and get something else to eat."

"Okay, Chance." Heather mumbled.

-

Heather greeted her students as they walked into the classroom. She loved all of her students and she thought they were the most adorable little humans—of course her son was in first place for that category though. She loved seeing their faces every morning.

"Ms. McDaniel." Killian said as he walked up to her.

"Yes, baby?" Heather responded.

"My daddy said he already scheduled his TAP meeting so he didn't need to fill out the paper." Killian said, not believing his father one bit.

Heather giggled. "PTA meeting—and he did when he dropped off your lunch yesterday."

Killian scoffed. "Oh, he think he's slick. I got something for him." He said, walking into the classroom.

Heather laughed. She was fully aware of the crush Killian had for her. She thought it was very cute and it was something she's been experiencing since she started teaching two years ago.

Once all of her students were in the classroom, Heather closed the door and smiled at her students who were getting themselves settled. "Can y'all tell me what today is?" She asked them.

"Wild Out Wednesday!" Most of them shouted making her laugh.

Heather created Wild Out Wednesday so the kids could play games and learn while doing it. They loved Wednesdays—most of them like it better than Freestyle Friday, but that's another story for another day.

"The sooner we get our things put away, the sooner we can start!" Heather told her students and they began to move as quickly as they could.

-

"Hey, baby." Heather said as she picked her son up from her mother's living room floor. "You had fun today, papa?"

Micah smiled. "Yes, mama."

Heather's mother, Cynthia was retired and she would watch Micah during the day along with her mother, Heather who goes by Dear. Yes, Heather was named after her grandmother.

"How was work, Heather?" Cynthia asked as she picked up the toy Micah was playing with.

"It was good. My kids are a trip." Heather replied. "There's this little boy named Killian who says I'm his girlfriend. I met his dad yesterday and now he's a little jealous."

"How does the daddy look?" Cynthia teased.

Heather laughed. "He fine, chile. I have a PTA meeting with him on Monday at four. I'm kind of excited to see that seat."

"Girl!" Cynthia exclaimed, laughing loudly. "Not in front of my grand baby."

"Y'all in here cuttin' up?" Dear asked, joining them in the living room.

Heather giggled. "No ma'am. I was just about to leave."

"Mhmm, I hear you." Dear said. "You owe me some bullet grapes—thanks to yo son."

"You're the one that got him addicted, but I will have your bag in the morning when I drop him off. As a matter of fact, I'll have two bags—one for him and one for you." Heather replied.

Dear nodded. "That's what I like to hear, baby."

Heather chuckled. "Say bye bye to granny and dear, Micah."

"Bye bye." Micah said, waving at the ladies.

"Bye, baby." The women said simultaneously.

-

Heather walked into the apartment to music and the smell of food. She found herself blushing a bit when she realized that Chance was home early.

"Hey, baby." Chance said, making his way to her and their son. "Hey, daddy's boy."

Micah smiled. "Hi, daddy."

"Hey, Chance." Heather replied. "What are you cooking?"

"Something slight." He said, kissing her lips. "Just your favorite."

Heather smirked. "What are you trying to do, huh?"

"Get back on my baby's good side. I've been making you upset lately and I don't like that." He told her.

Heather wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him lips again. "Well, you have a long way to go."

Chance laughed as he rested his hands on her butt. "I already know."

"Potty!" Micah shouted, grabbing his parents' attention.

Without saying another word, Heather quickly grabbed Micah and went to his bathroom. She stood him in front of his potty training urinal and quickly pulled down his pants and pull up, hoping they made it in time.

Micah began to urinate, but it was going everywhere except the urinal. "Aim it, Micah! Aim it!" Heather yelled as she tried to guide him to do so.

"Oh shit." Chance laughed as he stood in the doorway. He was going to help, but the damage was already done. "You gotta do what we taught you, man."

Heather huffed. "Dammit. Well, at least he made it to the bathroom this time. We're almost there, Micah." The little boy looked at his mother and just smiled.

-
-
-
-
-