Chapter Twenty Three

Emily's POV

Gabby, Phoenix's wife and mate, sits next to me on the couch as I rub my eight month pregnant belly. She holds her one year old daughter, Kelsey, pressing a kiss to her forehead. I smile softly, closing my eyes as I imagine a beautiful baby girl in my arms with Samuel holding me tightly. I can't wait to bring our child home, to be a family. 

Will he forgive me? Will he understand my decision? I haven't had any contact with the pack. I am not sure if he has fallen off the rail or is he is coping with it. 

Who am I kidding. He opened his heart to me and I crushed it. I don't want to imagine the pain he is in right now. 

"What are you going to name her?" Gabby asks. I caved and had an ultrasound to see what the gender of the baby is. Samuel and I are having a baby girl. I smile to myself as I shake my head. 

"I have a few names. I was thinking Jennifer, after my mother. Or Amanda after my aunt. But I was thinking about Samuel and people close to him. Maybe River or Summer." Gabby laughs and I raise my eyebrows. 

"Samuel hates his grandmother. I'm not sure he will want the name Summer." I can't help but laugh as well. That is true. I let out a breath and Gabby places a hand on my arm. "Jennifer is a beautiful name." She says. 

Phoenix and his family have been very welcoming. They have given me my own room and have treated me as one of their own. It's awkward, however, when I see Summer walking around the halls. She is beautiful, even with age, but the looks she gives me makes me cringe. She doesn't understand how I could love Samuel, that I could have a child with him. 

The seven months have gone by painfully slow and I am looking forward to when I can deliver my child and bring her home safely. All I want is to let down my walls and peek into Samuel's world, to see how he is doing. If I do that, however, the demon will see that I am having a child and will find a way to kill my child. 

"Yes. I like that name as well." As I say this, I know that my little girl will be named Jennifer. 

Phoenix walks into the family room and picks up his daughter, placing a kiss to her belly. Kelsey lets out a giggle and I smile at the father and daughter bonding. It is a beautiful sight. 

Phoenix looks at me. "How are you feeling, Emily?" Phoenix has played the concerned father, being sure I am being taken care of. I nod my head. 

"I feel perfectly fine. I am a little tired, however. I am going to turn in for the night." I get to my feet, placing a hand on my belly as I do so. "Goodnight." I offer a smile as I walk down the hall to the bedroom. Phoenix was sure to give me a room on the main floor so I didn't have to go up and down the stairs. 

When I get to my room, I crawl into bed, pulling the covers up over my shoulders. I close eyes and fall into a deep sleep. 

I dreamt of Samuel and our child that night. 

~*~

A stabbing pain jolts me awake a 3:43 in the morning. I scream on the top of my lungs as I feel warm blood pool around my body. I place a hand on my stomach as I understand what is happening. I am losing my child. 

The door is thrown open and Phoenix picks me up, running me out of the room. I cry, shaking my head. "I can't lose her. Please, don't make my lose my baby." Phoenix shushes me as he kicks open the door to the pack infirmary. It is sad to say that we prepared for this to happen. Phoenix kept a baby monitor in my room and kept the pack doctor just down the hall.