Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Emily's POV

After Samuel left me standing in the hallway, frozen with fear and shock, I had to decide if I were to follow him or find solitude in my room.

Of course, the second option was more appealing, however I couldn't help but feel the need to make my way downstairs. If what he says is true, if we really are mates, than I must make an effort with his pack.... and him. Even if everyone here poses a threat and chills me to the bone.

So I head down the stairs, my legs wobbling with soreness, my back and shoulders burning with every step. I need my wolf to help heal... Without her, I heal like an ordinary human. When I reach the bottom of the stairs, I see a young man sitting on a couch with a little girl beside him. He looks to be watching football while she is drawing in a coloring book.

At my appearance, they both look up. He looks pitiful. I wonder if it's because of the attack, or if it's because I am mated to the devil.... The little girl beams with happiness as she hurries over to give me a hug. "I'm Sarah!" She cheers. It's refreshing to know that there is joy and life in this pack... Maybe not everyone is as cold-hearted as the Alpha.

"Emily." I give her my name, a little on guard as people come walking into the room. I grow tense at the two men who stand before me. They both have brown hair, one having a lighter shade than the others. They look to be around forty years old, yet aging has done them well, for they are both meaty with muscle.

One steps forward and towers me, looking down at me with inquiry. I feel as small as a mouse next to him.

"Drew. You're scaring her." I hear a delicate woman's voice. I look around him to see a woman similar from the one before, but she is older. Beautiful, but older. She walks towards Drew who I now know as the previous Alpha. I watch as she comes up next to him and the raw tension between them is devastating. They were known for their undying love. How is it they can barely stand in the same room with one another?

"Hello, I'm Catherine." She says with a smile. "I'm so happy that you're going to be a part of this family." And she looks just as happy as she sounds. Her smile stretches as she stares at me. She shouldn't be happy, but appalled. I am nothing more than a scarred, torn apart piece of filth. My face looks it's as if it came out of a horror story, I am no longer pure; my body is soiled. I am soiled.

"My name is Emily." I inform her. She grins.

"Oh I know. I am so thrilled to finally have a daughter." Before I know it, she has her arms around me and I am comforted in this woman's embrace. For a moment, I forget about the troubles around me. I forget that I am mated to Samuel. I forget that I am all alone. "Come, dinner is ready. Let me get you acquainted with everyone here." She steps away and points toward the man sitting on the couch from earlier. "This is my nephew, Anthony and my niece Sarah. They are River's children."

No wonder Catherine and River look so much alike; they're sisters.

Catherine points to the man that stands next to Drew, "River's mate, Liam." She takes me around and tells me everyone's name. I try to keep track as best as I can, but the names are swarming in my head. Finally, when we get to the dinning room, I see Samuel and the burly man that directed me to the bathroom. "Blake," Catherine calls him. He stands and gives me a bow.

"We've met, briefly." He walks over to give my hand a kiss. "I hope you find our home appealing, Emily." He offers me a sweet smile as he says this and I give him a nod, even though I know it isn't likely.

A growl tears Blake's hand away from mine and I grow tense at the sound. I bow my head, avoiding eye contact with the man that stands and walks towards me. I hear Catherine's gasp as Samuel grabs me by the arm and tugs me away from Blake. I let out a whimper as my body blisters with pain.