Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Emily's POV

"Are you going to find out the gender?" Ilene asks, sitting next to me on the couch in the living room. Her stomach is slightly bigger now and I smile as she places her hand on it, running her fingernails up and down. 

"No. I want it to be a surprise. Are you?" I ask. Ilene seems to have forgotten the whole abortion incident as continued being my very close friend. 

"Blake wants to know. Is Samuel doing better?" I look over my shoulder to see Samuel leaning against the kitchen counter, his head in his hands. Blake is giving him encouraging words, patting him on the back.  Samuel has been having a hard time with it all. With my morning sickness and my moodiness, he has become very stressed and agitated. 

This was what I feared from the beginning. He doesn't want the baby and it is putting a strain on him. A strain on us and a strain on his role as Alpha. Even though he does spend many hours in his office, I know his mind isn't focused on the pack. All he can think about is the child. 

"He's getting there." I say, offering a smile to Ilene. I don't want to trouble her with my problems. She has enough of her own with being pregnant. 

I lean back into the couch and close my eyes, letting out a deep breath as I feel my stomach churn. I place my hands on my belly and will the nausea to subside. I've been throwing up enough as it is. All I want to do is relax. Maybe take a nap or watch a movie. 

I feel lips against my forehead and I smile. Samuel runs his fingers up and down along the sides of my neck. "Feel better?" He asks. I always feel better with his touch. It is like magic. Samuel is some sort of healer, and with a simple touch, all of the sickness goes away. I open my eyes to look up at him. 

"I love you." I whisper. He grins and moves his hands lower to give my aching shoulders a massage. I let out a moan as I close my eyes again and relax into his hands. This is the first time Samuel has actually given me a massage, and I have to say he is a professional at it. 

I feel myself drifting into a sleep until I hear a loud thud followed by, "Ow! What was that for?!" Samuel lets me go and we both turn to look at Ilene standing with her arms crossed, glaring at her mate. 

"How come you don't massage me like Samuel does?" She says in a whinny tone. I stifle my laugh as Blake looks at her with an apologetic stare. "Does this baby mean nothing to you? Healthy mom equals healthy baby! Think about that next time!" She turns and marches up the stairs to her bedroom. I could no longer hold it in; I burst out into a fit of laughter. 

Blake stares after his mate as Samuel joins in laughing. Its not as hearty as mine, but it is beautiful nonetheless. It is good to hear him laugh. 

"Oi! You two are making this difficult!" Blake exclaims, giving up the evil eye. I get to my feet and walk over to stand beside Samuel, wrapping my arms around his waist. "Sammy didn't even want a mate and he turns out being a better one than me." I rest my head against Samuel's chest and let out  a sigh. Poor Blake. He has a long pregnancy ahead of him. 

"Don't take it personal, Blake. She's just hormonal." I tell him, trying to tell him that everything would be alright. Ilene didn't mean it. She loves Blake with all her heart and would never want him to change. 

"I can't wait to see how bitchy you are then the hormones kick in." Blake says, crossing his arms as a wicked smile crosses his face. My mouth drops open as I let out a gasp. That is awful. I will be far from a bitch. I tend to have great control on my mood. 

Samuel laughs beside me and I turn to look up at him, crossing my arms and raising my eyebrows. When he looks down at me, his laughter stops but the smile stays on his lips. I then nod my head to Blake, telling Samuel to defend me. 

"Don't talk bad about my mate, Blake." Samuel says with mock anger. I roll my eyes and turn to head up the stairs, wanting nothing more than to go to sleep. 

"I'm retiring for the night." I tell them. 

I crawl into our bed and pull the blanket up over my shoulders. I cuddle with Samuel's pillow, breathing in his scent as I close my eyes and drift into a peaceful sleep. 

Samuel came to bed a few hours later. But that isn't what woke me up. What woke me up was this sharp pain in my abdomen that made me shoot up with a loud scream. I grasp my stomach as I feel warm liquid pool around me in the bed. "No...." Samuel jumps from the bed and runs around to stand beside me. He flicks on the light and I lift one of my hands to see that it is covered in bright red blood. 

"Oh my god." Samuel grabs me, rushing me into the bathroom. I cling to him, crying into his shoulder. He sets me into the tub and starts the water. "Stay here." I look up at him, shaking my head. 

"My baby..." 

"Emily. Stay here." He leaves, shutting the door behind him. I look down at myself, seeing that I am covered in blood. The water that fills around me takes up a pinkish tint. I wrap my arms around my legs, hugging them to me as I rest my forehead against my knees. 

Sob shake through me as I cry uncontrollably. I've lost my baby. How could this happen? Was this some sort of karma, some sort of revenge? 

What have I done wrong? What did I do to cause this baby to miscarriage? 

I sink down into the tub, curling up into a ball. I feel my nose and mouth just above the water as I seek solitude in the warmth. Forgive me, my angel. I have failed you twice now. I am undeserving. Perhaps that is why you were taken from me. Because I am undeserving to be your mother. I tried to kill you and now you are taken from me. 

I will myself to calm down, to take deep breaths. But it find it impossible as I have lost one of the most important people in my life. It seems that everyone I love is taken from me. Am I cursed? 

Hands grab my shoulder and pull me up. "Lets take you to the doctor." Samuel whispers. I shake my head, grabbing onto his hand. 

"No. Please. Just stay here with me." I look up at him as tears mixed with water roll down my face. I watch with total amazement and shock as a lone tear rolls down his cheek as well. He closes his eyes and presses his forehead against mine. 

"I am so sorry, my dear. I am so sorry." He climbs into the tub behind me, holding me close to his body. I rest my head on his chest. 

"It isn't your fault." I tell him. Samuel buries his face into the crook of my neck as he lets out a sob, pulling me even closer. 

"I thought he was gone. I thought we had gotten rid of him." His voice his broken and I feel my eyes open with realization. Just then, Samuel pushes into my mind and reveals another dark memory. One that has taken place just a few moments ago. One that contains the voice that has ruined Samuel's life. 

You will have no heir.