Chapter 4 The cove Itself

While Joe's fixing breakfast we're joined by two other members of James family John and Pop. John is the dad of all the kids. He has black hair that's cut short, green eyes like the boys and, a scruffy face. He's a fishermen. Pop's is an older man who has white shoulder lathe hair a, scruffy face like Jonah and, the same colored eyes as Joe I. Pop's works on the same fishing boat as Jonah

They brought up a lot of metal Buckets from down stairs. So while Joe's making me eggs and oatmeal, Jonah and Pop's are filling the buckets up with raw fish, some small squid, Shellfish, and shrimp. Joan puts the fish it the bottom of the bucket, the shrimp on top of the fish, the squid on top of the shrimp and, the sell fish on top of everything else. Joe sets my food in front of me, then her, Joan and, Pops start giving the buckets to the boys. Once they're done passing out all the buckets, I see the only boy that didn't get a bucket was Bryon. Bryon's eating the same thing that I am, eggs and oatmeal. Logan tries to eat a shellfish."Logan you know the rules. Nobody starts eating in till we're all sitting at the table!", Says Joe as she's looking over her shoulder at Logan. Logan quickly puts the shellfish back and look at his mom like, I didn't do anything mom. A few moments later they're all at the table and the kids start eating.

The kids crack open a shellfish one by one and then they slurp all the  juices out of it before eating the shell fish itself. This causes me to cover my mouth with one of my hands and put my fork with the other one

James turns his head and looks over at my face, which I'm sure is a shade of green "Hey Zoe. Are you going' to throw up?" he asks me "I might." I say in a sick sounding tone. James nods his head "Hey. Everyone, can you guys wait until Zoe's done eating. We're making her lose her appetite." "Sure James" Joe say and all the kids stop eating. "Thank you. Okay, Zoe you may start to eat." James says

As I'm eating a question crosses my mind. I look up from my egg and ask. "Where was my mother and father?" I ask. Pops looks at Joe, Joe shakes her head. "Don't worry about it." Pops replies to me. "What do you mean by that?". I ask "I mean, don't worry about it. We'll keep you safe." Pops replies to me again as I go back to eating, when I get done when my egg I notice that Bryon is just pushing his egg around his plate "If You're not going to finish that egg. May I have it?" Bryon passes my his plate. "Thank you." I say as I reserve the plate and start to eat my second egg.

"Hey Zoe lets go. I want to show around the island." James says once I get down eating. "You haven't eaten yet. " I say to him. I'll eat later, come on. Go and get your flip flops on." James says excited. "Yes Mr. bossy." I say Chuckling as I walk down the hall to go and get my flip flops on. I come back a few moments later with my flip flops on my feet "Hey mom. While James is showing Zoe around.I'm going to be taking a shower" Kyle says and James nods."Okay dear." Joe says.  As we're going outside James asks "Mom, can you put my food inside the fridge?" " sure I can" Joe replies. "Think you Mom" James says as we go out the door

Once outside James asks "Alright What questions do you have about the house." I turn my head towards him " How did you know I have questions about the house?" I ask him "C'mon Zoe everybody has questions about the house when they first come here, they all do." he replies. "Alright, if we're on an island in the middle of nowhere. How can you have indoor plumbing?" I ask him. "C'mon. I'll shoe you."

We walk around to the front side of they house there's a little shack w to the right hand side of the house. It looks like it has seen better days, with what looks like rotted out wood all around the outside and, a door with a few good sized holes in it. It look like it going to fall down any second. "Well come on in Zoe." James says as he opens the door I go in first and then James fallows behind me closing the door behind him as we enter. Once inside it  looks completely different, it has healthy brown wood all around the inside and, a new solid door on the inside. I look at James who's the by a huge round water tank "Now. Zoe all of the water in this tank is pier salt water straight from the Atlantic Ocean.This water is pumped in through a valve which is attached to a PVC pipe the runs from the tank all the way and into the Ocean and, so that nobody trips over the pipe when walking we've marked the path with 17 red flags and this tank is on a big sail and when it gets to empty the pipep's valve will open causing the tank to fill with pier salt water. Once full the valve will close up in till it's some what empty."James says James as he points to the valve. It's in the bottom left hand corner of the tank. I see another valve on the other side of the tank "Hey where does that valve go?" I ask him. "That one delivers the water to the house." he replies to me "How?" I ask. "C'mon. I'll show yea." He replies as we start to walk towards the door. As James steps out of the doorway he holds the door open for me. I walk over to the doorway, then I turn my head back to look at the tank one last time before walking through the doorway. James closes the door behind us.

Once outside, we walk around to the back of the shack where there's a small white plastic tube. James points to it and starts to explain again. "This small tube runs from the valve in the tank and inside the concrete slab which is under the house itself." He says. We walk back inside the house. James heads towards the living room, I fallow, I we walk over to a brown small square shaped door with a small wooden door handle on it, When James opens the door I see two Water filters. One has a short, clear plastic tube in the side of that is connoted to the second one and the one on the right hand side has a clear tube coming out of the top of it and the tube is connoted to a black line of some kind "Now. These water filters are so powerful that they can remove anything from the water, Even salt." Says James and I nod my head. "This tube is connoted to the water line which supplies the rest of the house." He continues. "Why are there two filters couldn't you use just one?" I ask. "We want to make sure we have gotten all the salt and, who knows what out of the water first." James walks into the kitchen and gets me a glass of water, when James walks back over to me he softly places the cup in my hand. "Bottoms up." He says as I take the cup in my hand. I slowly raise the cup to my lips then I wait a moment and then take a sip. "Wow, that's so good." I say after I swallow.  I like the taste, it still tastes like the sea, but without any salt. When I'm finished with my water James puts my glass in the sink.

This time when we go outside, we use the back door, it's a white screened in the door with a gold doorknob. We step out and onto a nice wooden deck.. As I start to look around. I can see two palm trees, a second shack, That looks just like the first one and, some yellow ropes. In the water. But other than that, there's not much in the backyard. As James and I walk down the deck steps and past the shack I ask "Hey James. "What's that shack used for?" "That's where the dirty water ends up every time we flush the toilet, or unplug the sink or bathtub. It is cleaned with a harmless cleaner to the water and to the animals who live in it The filter does however have to be cleaned out every two days. But dad and Pops handle that.

"Zoe. Do you those two palm trees?" he asks as we walk towards the tree on the right. "Yeah, " I reply. "The left tree's real. But the right one's fake."James says as he walks around behind the tree. "Why do you need a fake palm tree?" I ask as I slowly walk around the tree myself. "Because this is where we hide our solar panels. And they." I cut him off. "I know what solar panels do , and how they work." I say to him. "Anyway, we also have solar panels on the roof." Says James, I just nod "Hey Zoe. Do you want to see my favorite spot on this island?" he asks. "I sure would." I reply to him as we start walking around to the front side of the house and on to who knows where this boy is taking me

.