Chapter 17 : The attack

When we get back into the boat I sit on the right hand side of the boat, and Joe puts James in my lap, but this time James is sitting up, and I'm rubbing his shoulders. As Pops starts the boat and we start to drive off, I start to whisper soothing things into James's ear as well. Joe smiles, sitting across from me and James and says, "James, it's going to be just like the massage I gave you last night, but it won't feel half as good", she chuckles that last part, I look up towards her, "You know massage too?" I ask, in a whisper, "Yes, my mom taught me, just as yours did" Joe replies to me.

"So, you had to get a massage last night, what for?" I ask, looking back down at James, "After you got into the bathtub to warm up, James was starting to freak out, so I had to calm him down, but while I was massaging his back, he kept wishing it was you, I had my mind link on the whole time" says Joe . "My mom always told me I was gifted In the art of massage" I say, as I look up at Joe for a moment and then back down at James, "That's another hint that you are a healer" says Joe, in a whisper, "What" I say, not looking up from James.

"To be a healer, you have to make people relax fairly quickly, and if you think about a good way to make you relax after a long day, a good massage is a great place to start, so if a young girl or guy, but most of the time it's a girl, comes in with her family, and they tell me that she's gifted in massage, that girl's most likely a healer, because of the ability to relax people in an instant, and their graceful touch, but there's also another reason why I think you might be a healer, but we'll talk about that tonight after dinner" Joe explains.

"So, what does it feel like, the mate pressure I mean?, Surprisingly it's James, who replies, "Like the worst headache ever" he says, in a deep mumble "How so?" I ask, still rubbing his shoulders deeply, "Imagine, having 100 migraines every single moment of the day, then multiply that a million times over, and you've got mate pressure" James explains, mumbling slightly, I just gasp in responds to what I've just heard.

"Well relax James, it'll all be gone soon, then I start to whisper soothing things into his ear again, like my mother taught me to, "What are you whispering to him?" Joe whispers, curiously, "Things that I wouldn've told my parents" I reply, I can't believe how much pain he was in, and for a ten year old to cut themselves is jaw dropping enough, now I not only love my parent's, but hate them as well.

Half way home to the Cove, the boat slightly jerks, "What was that?" Pops asks, "Don't know, maybe it was a regular dolphin" replies Joe, "You're probably right" says Pops, laughing to himself, I smile. Then a moment later it happens again, a little harder this time. James than stands up so that I can look on the other side of the boat, at first all I see is the bright blue water, then I see a shadow move quickly deeper under water. I blink my eyes and the shadow's gone, must've been my Imagination, I think to myself.

I look back at James, he looks completely different, face focused, eyes focused, fist clenched, teeth clenched. "What?" I ask, sill looking over my shoulder at him, "That's no dolphin, that's a shark" James says, through his teeth, right then the shark rams into the right side of the boat, rocking it so badly that I almost fall over. "Zoe!" James yells, as I almost go over the side of the boat, James then strips off his shirt and tosses it aside, I look away quickly before he strips off his pants and tosses them aside.

The next thing I hear is a large splash, I look up and see a dark gray dolphin going head on with the shark, a sudden shock runs throughout my body, "James" I shutter, Joe speed walks over, and Pops stops the boat, and then speed walks over as well. "I'm going in dad watch my back" Joe says in a firm voice, as she's getting ready to jump in, "Oh no you don't, not with you two day's away from having that calf, James can handle this" Pops says, as he pulls Joe back gently with her shirt collar.