Chapter 15

“Ow my god this is So FUN!!!” Scarlet yelled as we wizzed along a desert highway. She was sitting on the top of the car, holding onto the gap between the window and the roof on each side having the time of her life. “You guy’s have got to try this!”

“No thanks, I’m the driver remember.” Kyle said laughter in his voice as she climbed back into the car.

“I’m with Kyle on this one, no thanks.” I told her.

“Ok guys, buckle up. First stop’s coming up and we don’t want to be attracting any attention. Scarlet.” He said aiming it at the red head in the back.

“What? What did I do?” She asked.

“Nothing.” He paused. “yet anyway.”

“So what are we doing?” I asked being the only one who seemed to be completely in the dark about where we were.

“Motel tonight. More driving tomorrow. Camp out tomorrow night in a great place that will remain a surprise.” Kyle reeled off.

“Motel. Two rooms right?” Scarlet said.

“Yep.” Was Kyle’s short reply, he seemed to be distracted and going by the fact I could hear some other cars I guessed we were getting closer to human habituated land.

“Alright, you and Cy can share then.” Scarlet chirped sounding ever so happy.

“Sure.” Again a short reply.

“What no objections? Either your getting used to me or your heads gone funny.” I told him sarcastically.

“My heads fine and I’ve been sharing a bed with you for god knows how long. That and you never argue with a woman, trust me it just doesn’t work and you will always, always loose.” He said sounding more himself as he reversed before stopping. “Here.”

“YES!” Scarlet yelled rather loudly jumping out of the car and running off somewhere.

“I worry about her,” I thought out loud.

“Trust me your not the only one.” Kyle replied taking my hand once I was out of the car. He handed me my overnight bag before walking over to what I presume was the office and going in. “You checked us in Scar?”

“No, I don’t know your last name. So please go ahead.” We both walked forward.

“Kyle McColin. Two rooms.” He said politely.

“And who’s sharing?” the voice of an elderly person asked. “I don’t condone that kind of stuff here.” Whoever it was was obviously referring to Kyle holding my hand.

“Mam I’m blind,” I said. “Kyle’s my guide for now until I get a dog.”

“Woof woof,” he said sarcastically. “And it’s a bloke Cy.”

“Sorry.” I offered but only hurd a hmph and jangle of keys as they were passed to Ki and Scarlet. The three of us walked out then and along a wooden walkway to our rooms.

“I’ll see you in the morning,” Scar chimed happily as she went into her’s. Kyle then let us into our and I just sat down on the bed, perfectly happy and perfectly comfortable. Though I will admit the place smelt more than just a little musky.

“You sure can pick the places,” I said as I lay down on the bed ready to fall asleep then and there.

“It’s cheep and out of the way and probably the only night we’re going to be spending in moderate comfort for a while,” he said as the rustling of clothes went on so I presumed he was getting undressed.

“You think we’ll get in trouble?” I asked as I took off my own shirt.

“No, Scarlet’s organised, she made sure they know she went out of her own free will and that it was her idea in the first place.” He sighed. “Shove over I want to get under the covers.” He said pulling at them.

“Fine, fine, me to I guess. What time’s it anyway?” I asked him not feeling tired at all.

“Nearly midnight I think.” He yawned. “Don’t know, cant be bothered to look to be honest.”

We both went under the covers, both of us shivering from the cold. “Your not so bad.” I said.

“Thanks.” He said sleepily. “And your right my friends are dicks.”

“FINALY! You admit it.” I laughed rolling over to face him.

“Yes Cyan I admit it. When I left school they spoke to me about you, basically called me a fag and said that if I kept hanging out with you they didn’t want to know me. So I chose you over them.” He said still sounding half asleep.

“Why?” May as well ask, I was a bit shocked after all.

“I don’t know, because I like you maybe.” He said it so obviously and something in my brain just clicked.

“Like me as in like like me? As in like me in a gay way?” I said completely puzzled now.

“I dun’know, maybe.” He muttered before probably falling asleep. Either way I didn’t reply. This was Kyle after all. A half asleep Kyle at that, maybe he didn’t know what he was saying, didn’t mean that.

~~~

“Morning sunshine.” Kyle’s voice woke me up as he prodded me with a fork I think. “Breakfast’s here and if you want some I’d have it now otherwise I’m just going to eat it all.” Wasn’t he just a gentleman, as always.

I just groaned and rolled over, I was not feeling like the happy morning person today. “No your getting up,” he said. “I’m not letting you out of it that easily and if we’re not out soon then Scarlet’s gona come looking.”

“God help us if that happens,” I moaned sitting up not wanting to go through whatever dreadful ordeal she may have planed in that evil ninja mind of her’s.

“Thought he didn’t exist?” Was Kyle’s sarcastic response witch only made me grone and lay back down.

“Touché.” I said holding out my hand for a piece of toast. Hmmm, toast. But of course I didn’t get toast, no, I got eggy bread or something vile like that witch I had to eat while listening to Kyle crunching away on his toast. Meanie.

Two knock’s on the door made me realise it must be nearly time to go. “Who’s there?” Kyle called.

“Doris,” Came Scarlet’s voice just sounding a bit annoyed.

“Doris who?” I asked knowing full well that I was winding her up.

“Doris locked, that’s why I’m knocking.” She shouted making me jump before Kyle hurriedly opened the door. “Children,” She sighed heavily, “Who’d have them.”

“And the worst bit is that this child is gona be the one driving you.” Kyle said to her, probably sticking his tongue out for good measure.

“Don’t remind me or I may die of anticipation as I wait for the car to crash and burn,” She said in a dry sarcastic voice. “Ready?”

“Do I look ready?” I asked her.

“No you look half naked, now hurry up and get in the freekin’ car!” Gees that girl was not in a good mood this morning.

“You not a morning bunny are you.” I said as I got out of bed.

“I’m not a bunny I’m a ninja, there is a difference my dear.” And with that and a quick peck on my cheek she was gone again.

“Bipolar much.” Kyle said handing me my clothes.

If only it was that simple. I thought.