Epilogue

Scarlet died a few days later. We’d been gone for so long on our little road trip that the blood had just built up and now…

Kyle told me she’d been pale, holding her head probably because she had one hell of a headache and I’d just brushed it off. I’d known something was wrong but I’d just brushed it off because Scarlet is Scarlet and I knew she knew what she was doing.

And she did.

She knew it was her time to go. She knew that she had to live life as best she could the last few day’s because they were her last. She knew, but she never said anything, not a word. And now this.

I held Kyle’s hand as I sat in the hospital bed waiting for Lucy to come and give me a sedative. It seems that Scarlet had asked the doctors to do something for her, or should I say for me, once she was gone. “I don’t know if I can do this.” I told him.

“It’s what she wanted, if it wasn’t then…” he didn’t finish, he couldn’t. “It’s your choice, but the options there.”

I nodded knowing I would go through with it. “Promise, promise me that you’ll be there when I wake up.” I asked him, nearly in tears. “I want you to be the first thing I...” I choked up, unable to finish the sentence in case it all went wrong.

~~~

“Are you awake?” The doctor asked me.

“Yere.” I said.

“Ok, I’m going to take off the bandages now, you ready?” He said sounding falsely positive.

I gulped and then felt Kyle take my hand. This was it. The bandages were unwrapped from around my head but my eyes remained closed. I was almost scared to open them, scared this wouldn’t work.

“Ok, open your eyes now.” The doctor said.

My grip on Kyle’s hand tightened into an iron fist. “It’s ok,” he said sounding so choked up. “It’s alright.” His lip’s pressed gently to my own and as he pulled away my eyes lid’s fluttered open. I choked as I began to cry. My left eyes stung a little but I couldn’t believe it, I couldn’t breath, I just couldn’t believe it.

It was Scarlet, it had been her idea, it was all thanks to her.

This.

Everything.

“I. I can.” I was struggling to get my word’s out as I looked into Kyle’s eyes with my one that had belonged to Scarlet. “I can see you.”

~~~

I kept the pictures we took on our little adventure locked away, in a little box. Scarlet’s picture she’d given me, how she wanted me to remember her, to see her, in there to. I’d look at them when I was ready though, and I wasn’t ready yet. One day though, maybe.

But I knew when I looked at that picture it would mean something, something big. On the back I knew exactly what she’d written. That poem, the one she’d come up with while looking up at the stars, while comparing me to them.

I could never, would never be able to thank her enough so I would do what she wanted. Looking over at Kyle I smiled as I slid the box under our bed, to be hidden away until I found the courage to finally face the person who’d given me back my life.

It was only a photo but it meant everything in the world to me, to me it was her. It was everything about her. A pictures worth a thousand words right so along with the poem it would all be hard to take in.

Glancing over at the mirror I saw the green eye that let me see. Looking straight at it I compared Scarlet’s eye to my own and something, something just told me she was watching through it. She was watching my life as if it were her own. So I guess I’d have to do her justice, make my life one to remember.

And so that’s exactly what I did…