▀▄▀▄🎀 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 1 🎀 ▄▀▄▀

April
--------------------
The lock turned, and the door was pushed open. Kairi dropped his keys on his hook, and toed off his shoes. He always got home exactly one hour before Mattia, but today felt different. Mattia had woken up happier than usual, which was great but a little confusing to Kairi. Neither one of their birthdays was close, and it wasn't a holiday.

Kairi took his jacket off and hung it in the closet. Kairi realized what was different. The hooks had two sets of keys. There were two pairs of shoes by the door. There was a blue jacket next to Kairi's black one. Mattia was already home.

"Matt?" Kairi called out, looking outside to see his husband's car in the driveway. How had he missed that?

"In here!" said man called out. Kairi followed the voice into the kitchen, where Mattia was sitting at the kitchen counter.

"Why are you home early?" Kairi asked, sitting at the stool next to Mattia.

"I feel so loved" Mattia chuckled. "Hey."

"Hi." Kairi smiled, leaning in for a kiss. Mattia smiled back, and connected their lips in a loving greeting. "So, what are you doing home so early?"

Mattia's smiled faltered. "Baby, did you check today's date?"

"No, why?" Kairi looked confused and pulled up his phone calendar. "Oh... god damnit."

April 14. Their anniversary.

"I knew I'd forgotten something, and I knew it was important." The smaller groaned, dragging a hand through his hair, and pulling it down his face. "Honestly, how stupid can I be?"

"You forget once, it's not going to kill you." Mattia said, stopping Kairi's abuse on his hair. "The second time however..."

Kairi let out a dry laugh, and flopped down on the couch. "I swear I have the brain of a goldfish. Hi, I'm Kairi and I suffer from short-person small-brain syndrome!"

Mattia rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to deny that, but it honestly doesn't matter. You know now, so let's go to dinner."

"But I feel bad about forgetting!" Kairi whined, letting himself be pulled up into a hug.

"Don't. You probably had something else on your mind, and it happened to the best of us." Mattia smiled, and Kairi copied it. "I want a real smile babe." Mattia chuckled. Kairi giggled, and Mattia felt his heart melt. Kairi smiled for real, and Mattia kissed him. "I love you baby."

"I love you too."

'''''''''''

"Where are we going?" Kairi asked, climbing into the passenger seat of Mattia's car. The man had said to dress fancy, so Kairi was wearing his favorite navy suit. Mattia had gotten it for him on their honeymoon, where they'd gone to Italy.

"A place you've been wanting to go for a while." Mattia focused on the road, but Kairi could see a playful glint in the latter's eye.

Kairi was stumped. Where had he wanted to go? Was it? No-"Oh my god, there's no freaking way we are going to Nourriture de Fantaisie..."

Mattia smirked playfully, and kept silent. "Maybe..."

"Mattia Polibio!" Kairi whacked Mattia's arm. "You got a reservation there?!"

"Kairi Polibio!" Mattia mocked. "Yes I did. Turns out a good friend from work is the owner's husband."

"Husband...Alvaro Romero, that owns Nourriture, is gay?"

"Well fiancé actually. But yeah, I guess so. I work with his fiancé, Alejandro Rosario."

"How fun. So he helped with our reservation?" Kairi asked, adjusting his suit.

"Yep." Mattia pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant. They had arrived.

The two walked into the restaurant, Mattia asking for the reservation. They were seated fairly quickly, considering it was a Friday night, and already quite packed. The waitress escorted the to a secluded area of the restaurant, where it was much quieter. Only two other tables were occupied; a female couple at one, and an elderly couple at another.

"Ooh, pretty." Kairi mumbled, seeing the waitress light the candles of the rose petal-scattered table.

"You're prettier." Mattia smiled, pulling Kairi's chair out for him.

Kairi blushed. "I hope I'm prettier than a table."

Mattia laughed and sat down. "What do you want to drink?"

"I'll probably just get a glass of wine.." Kairi always liked things sweeter than given, so he usually opted for sweeter alcohols.

"I'm gonna get something light.." Mattia murmured. He didn't like drinking if he knew it was him driving home.

The waitress asked for their drink orders, and they answered. Kairi asked for a bottle of port wine, while Mattia ordered a glass of Lambrusco.

a half hour later....

Mattia looked at the man in front of him. Kairi was leaning backwards on his chair, spinning the near-empty wine glass between his finger and thumb. His plump lips were stained red with wine, his eyes shiny with alcohol buzz. Mattia realized how lucky he was to get someone like Kairi in his life. Kairi was so pretty, just everything about him was. He looked at his husband, and smiled.

The two were waiting for the check when Kairi sat up. "I'll be right back. Have to use the bathroom." The small man's voice becoming raspy, like it did when he'd had a bit too much to drink.

Mattia nodded, and watched Kairi walk away. He looked better, prettier. Mattia shook his head. He felt even more attracted to Kairi today than he ever had. Maybe that's just what anniversaries do.

The check came just as Kairi was walking back. "What's the damage?" Kairi asked, smoothing the front of his suit as he sat down.

"Oh, only $60.83 so actually not bad." Mattia answered.

"Damn, how much was the bottle?" Kairi asked. Mattia answered with 'ten bucks.'

Kairi went to pull out his wallet, but Mattia stopped him. "Aw, baby really thinks he's paying." the man chuckled.

"Why can't I pay?" Kairi asked, sipping the last of his wine.

"You can pay me back later tonight." Mattia smirked, and received a faceful of wine, while Kairi choked on air.

--------------------------
I'm back.