Chapter Two: Attempts

Gino couldn't help himself as his eyes lingered on her face before raking down her figure.  Alana's face had lost most of its baby fat, so that she looked wiser, more beautiful and more mature than she had three years ago, but overall she had retained her adorable, innocent look.  Her hair had grown longer, so that it cascaded halfway down her back in silky dark waves.  She was fairer and slimmer than the last time he saw her, but still had noticeable curves.  He noticed that she looked tired, even though her bright hazel eyes stared up at him with such intensity that he could feel his body heating and tensing beneath his suit as his heart pounded within him.

Now that Gino thought about it, he had never seen her in work clothes.  He had never seen her in a navy blazer and skirt and heels.  He gave an awkward cough.  Had his stomach just fluttered?

Sure, she was looking positively sexy and smart.  But he hadn't seen her in three years.  They had gone through a mutual break-up, and though it had left him heartbroken, they both understood it was for the best because of their careers and the distance.

"Alana?" Gino whispered disbelievingly.  His ex-girlfriend worked at EcoHomes.  How could he have forgotten?  Her dream had been to help people build environmental-friendly homes, after all.  He had had an odd feeling of nostalgia wash over him when he had stepped into the building, but at the time, could not yet place it.  Now he knew why.

Thank God he had popped a mint in his mouth before he went to the meeting room.  Well, not that it really mattered...  He had a beautiful young woman who had just recently become his girlfriend anyway.

"Gino?" Alana asked as she looked up at him, her lips parted slightly.  They looked so plump and pink, and several instinctive desires battled for control: he wanted to kiss her passionately, hug her tight and keep her in his arms.  It was almost overwhelming, to be honest.  But the more rational part of his mind told him he should hold out his hand and act like the professional that he was.

Gino cleared his throat awkwardly.  "It's... it's been a while."

Her eyes widened slightly, and she blinked rapidly a few times before looking down.  "Yeah," she murmured softly, and glanced up again.  "Yeah, it has."  She sounded a little... odd.

"Alana?"

The two of them turned to see a man looking at her expectantly.  "The meeting is going to start in twenty minutes, so make sure your reunion doesn't take too long."

"Okay.  Thank you Leo."

The man turned away and wandered into the meeting room, prompting Gino to look back at Alana.  For a moment, all they did was look at each other.  The look in her eyes seemed to tug within his heart.  He sighed as he felt his control slip away.

"Ah, screw it."  He took a step towards her and embraced her in his arms, pleased that she almost immediately responded by hugging him back.

Gino relished the feeling of Alana's soft warm figure pressed against his, and he inhaled the sweet smell of her hair and scent.

"I missed you," he whispered softly.

"Me too."

He felt her move slightly and reluctantly pulled away.

"Why are you here?  I thought you were in New York," she tilted her head slightly and widened her eyes.  He felt as if his heartstrings were being tugged at because she looked so damn adorable.

He cleared his throat softly.  He couldn't risk her knowing how much power she had over him when it had already been three years.

"I transferred back to the branch here," Gino explained with a small smile.  "I missed everyone.  I don't know why, but I just had to come back."