Chapter Thirteen: Fear

Gino had just thrown the remaining beer cans into the recycling bin when he heard a loud exhale and turned to see his girlfriend stop to take a sip of water and then tie her hair into a ponytail.

He grinned.  "Good thing we didn't invite too many people, huh?"

She set the bottle down with a small smile.  "Yeah.  Otherwise we wouldn't have finished until tomorrow."

"I'm going to finish the dishes, alright?"

"Okay.  I'll put all the leftovers in the fridge."

For several minutes, they worked in companionable silence, until Gino said, "Tyler and Taryn's wedding plans are finally starting to come together.  You excited?"

"Ooh, yes!"  He turned to see her beam at him with shining eyes.  "Taryn was showing us some wedding dresses and ideas for pre-wedding photo shoots.  They were absolutely gorgeous!"

Gino grimaced jokingly.  "Tyler was telling us about that.  He said it was nice and all, but he wanted to take some casual pictures too."

"I don't see why not," Alana said, opening the refrigerator and placing a plastic container of vegetables inside.  "Taryn is pretty open about anything."

He silently turned back to the dishes and focused on rinsing the rest of the soap off before placing them on the dish rack.  A sudden image of Alana in a wedding dress flashed in his mind, and he shook his head vigorously. 

Why am I thinking about this again?  I'm twenty-six.  I've got time.

Once they'd finished cleaning up, the couple quickly prepared for bed and slipped beneath the sheets.  Gino instinctively wrapped his arm around her waist and closed his eyes.

He heard rustling for a moment and then felt soft lips brush against his.

"Happy birthday, Gino," he heard Alana whisper.

He smiled softly and tightened his hold before falling into a deep slumber...

He opened his eyes and blinked, before sitting up and running a hand over his face.  He glanced down and felt his environment, his fingers sliding over the soft silkiness of blankets. 

Gino got up and stretched, glancing around.  The furnishings were modern, sleek and sophisticated.  He walked over to a cupboard made of dark oak and fit with sanded glass and ran a hand down the smooth wood.  

Where's Alana?

He pulled open the door and was almost immediately assaulted with the smells of French toast and sausages.  He could hear sizzling, a soft voice, giggling and a tiny bell that seemed to never stop.

Gino slowly made his way down the hallway, occasionally peeking into several rooms and marveling at the furniture and design.  Finally, he reached the end of the corridor and turned right.

Sunlight spilled through the windows and illuminated the room, where Alana sat at the dining table smiling and speaking gently to someone next to her.  Whoever it was, the person was small and blocked by the table. 

"Oh, Gino, you're awake!"  Alana stood and turned to smile at him, but the only thing he was staring at was her belly, which looked a little rounded.  "I'll get a plate for you; we still have some leftover food."

She stepped into the kitchen and he saw a little white ball of fluff streak after her before something else drew his attention.

"Pa!"  Gino felt something tug at his sweatpants, and he looked down to see a little toddler.  The boy had dark blond hair and blue eyes.  His eyes.