Chapter Nine: No Regrets

She had to find him.  She had to tell him, too.  Alana dialed Stephanie’s number on her phone and held it up to her ear.  After a moment, her friend answered.

“Hey Alana, what’s up?”

“Hey Steph.  Do you know where Gino is?”

“Gino…?”  Her tone sounded wary.  “Why?  What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.  I…  I broke up with Josh.”

“What?”

“I think I’m falling in love with Gino again.”

There was silence on Stephanie’s end.  “I think Tristan will know.  Do you want to ask him?”

“Yes please.”

“Okay, hang on for a second.”

Alana could hear people muttering in the background and the sound of the phone brushing up against something.  Maybe clothes?

“Alana?” Tristan asked.

“Yeah.”

“Are you sure about this?  If you really think you love him, then don’t change your mind halfway through.”

“I’m pretty sure.  Something’s telling me this is the right choice.” 

Tristan sighed.  “He’s been pretty depressed, you know.  Ever since you rejected him.  I mean, he’s not a wreck, but still.  He’s a little out of it.”

Alana felt her stomach lurch.  She bit her lip and twirled her dark hair around a finger.  “I never meant to do that.”

“I know.”  After a moment’s silence, Tristan said, “He’s in our apartment, actually.  You know where it is.”

“Yeah.”

“We won’t tell him you’re coming, okay?”

Alana felt as if her heart had leapt in throat by the time she reached outside the door in front of Stephanie and Tristan’s apartment.  She took a deep, calming breath and knocked.

Stephanie pulled open the door and gave her an encouraging smile before ushering her inside.

She made her way into the living room, where she saw Gino speaking with Tristan with a steaming cup in his hands.

“Gino?” she asked, tentatively.

He turned at the sound of her voice and his eyes widened, before darting over to Tristan and Stephanie, in what looked like an accusatory manner.

Tristan stood and took Stephanie’s hand.  “We’re going to let you guys talk.”  The couple exited the room and for a long moment, there was silence.

Gino stood up from his chair and glanced over at Alana.  His gaze seemed empty, and it frightened her.  Now that she was close enough to see him, he looked as if he had lost some weight, but still retained most of his muscular bulk.  She could see subtle dark circles beneath his eyes, and her heart thudded at the sight.  She had never seen him look so vulnerable.

“Why are you here?”  Even his usually charming voice sounded dull.

“I have good news.”

Gino’s face darkened and his countenance seemed to sour.  “What good news?  Something with your boyfriend?”

Alana crinkled her brows.  “What?”

“Probably engaged or some shit like that…”  She barely heard him mumble as he turned away, but wasn’t entirely sure whether she had heard correctly.  If she had, then maybe the next thing she was going to say would be good payback for making such a negative assumption.