Chapter Ten: Impression

“Are Elli and Devon coming too?” Alana asked as she took Gino’s offered hand and stepped out of his car.  “Thank you.”

He pressed a soft kiss against her cheek.  “You’re welcome.  I don’t think they are.”  He shut the door behind her and locked his car.  “Tyler didn’t say they’d be coming.”  He proffered his arm, and she looped her own through it. 

The couple made their way over to The Cutting Board, where a sizeable amount of people was already mulling around outside, talking and laughing amongst themselves.  Her heels made distinct clacking noises against the pavement, and she made sure that her shoulders were back, spine straight and stride equally as confident as Gino’s.

He looked nice in semi-casual wear, she mused to herself with a smile.  As subtly as she could, Alana leaned towards him and inhaled in his scent and cologne. 

Mmm, smells good too.  She felt her stomach do a little flip.

They moved past the crowd of people.  She was quite aware of several lingering stares on both her and her boyfriend, but ignored them.

The two entered the packed restaurant, which smelled of smoky beef, toasted bread and beer, and loud with boisterous laughter, conversations and music.  Alana spotted a group of men at the bar with ruddy faces, who were arguing and making loud comments while pointing at the football game playing on the television.

“Tyler Lee,” she heard Gino saying to a waiter who had returned to the podium. 

“Yes.  Please follow me, sir,” the waiter said once he had found the name.

They weaved in and out of the tables and chairs before finally stopping in front of a fairly large rectangular one.  Everyone else was already there.

“Gino!  Alana!  Finally!”

Alana smiled as she hugged and greeted Stephanie, Jessica and Daniela before being pulled into the arms of Tristan, Tyler and David, Gino’s other friends.  Soon, they were sitting down and having menus stuffed into their hands while Tyler called for the waiter to bring some of their finest wines and beers.

After placing their orders, they soon began to talk about work, any kind of drama that was going on in their lives, and family matters. 

In no time at all, their food had arrived, ranging from fish and steak to sandwiches and pasta.

“Babe?”

“Hmm?”  She turned to face Gino.

“Do you want to try some?”  Before she could protest, he had cut several cubes of juicy steak and placed them on her plate, followed by some fries.

Alana smiled and gave Gino part of her sandwich and salad. 

“Alana?”

She looked up to see David grinning at her.  “Do you want some?”  He held up the bottle of cabernet sauvignon in his hand and nodded at her empty wineglass.

“Oh.  Yes please.”

He started to pour a liberal amount, and asked whether her boyfriend would like any.

“I’m good.  I’m driving home tonight,” Gino said.

David set the bottle down in the middle of the table and asked, “Do you want some of my sea bass, Alana?”

She tilted her head to the side and widened her eyes.  “Um, okay.  Thanks David.  Here, you can have some of mine if you want.”

“No, it’s fine.  The bass is a little big, so I’ll have enough to eat.”