Chapter 2: Conversations

Jasmine walked next to Ryder as they left the office. She wasn't usually a shy girl but for some reason just looking at Ryder gave her butterflies. She tried so hard to be nice and maintain eye contact but it just wasn't working for her. She was nervous, and she hated it. She chewed on her bottom lip, a nervous habit she picked up on, and began to play with the ends of her hair to give her hands something to do. She didn't know why but she wasn't too pleased with the amount of space between her and Ryder. Without trying to be too obvious, she closed a little of the distance as she walked, praying he didn't notice. However, with the amount of attention Ryder was paying to Jasmine it was impossible for him not to notice. He bit back a smile realizing she wanted to be closer to him when they had just met. He was beginning to realize his friends weren't exaggerating when they spoke of how powerful the mating bond could be.

It was hard for Ryder to not act on his new, but strong, feelings. The benefits of being mates with a fellow werewolf meant there wasn't any "taking it slow". Not sexually, but expression of emotions and feelings. With a human, Ryder couldn't just wrap his hand into Jasmine's or tell her they were meant to be. That'd be weird to her. They had just met, and to a human, that was their only connection. Sure when she looked into his eyes she felt something, but until they complete the mating bond, having sex, she won't feel all the strong feelings Ryder does. She would feel a lot, but not all.

Ryder couldn't believe he was nervous. Ryder was never nervous. It was one of the qualities that came with being in the line for Alpha. It was always pure confidence. He shoved his hands in his front pockets, a nervous habit, and decided to break the silence.

"Uh-s-so where are you from?"

Shit.

Ryder cursed himself mentally for not only asking the most boring and typical question, but for actually stuttering. Since when is speaking a problem?

"Maryland. I know, boring state." Jasmine laughed a little and Ryder almost stopped breathing because of her smile.

"Trust me; it's not that much worse than here."

"I thought everyone loved it here. Well at least that's what everyone keeps telling me."

"You'll love it but only if you surround yourself with the right people."

"Ok so basically anyone except you?" Jasmine teased holding back a grin.

Ryder laughed and was more than happy his mate had a sense of humor and felt comfortable around him to use it already.

"Actually that was more of an invitation to hang out with me and my friends. You can sit with us at lunch...," Ryder scratched the back of his neck, "but like uh only you want. You don't have to if you don't want you to."

Jasmine smiled and shook her head. She couldn't believe he actually wanted her to sit with him and his friends. He was probably just trying to be polite, "You don't have to do that."

"It's ok. I want to. Trust me." Ryder looked into her eyes to convince her he genuinely did want her company and Jasmine blushed letting out a soft "Ok" and a nod before she blinked and looked away.

Ryder was almost done touring the whole school, despite how large it was, and was noticing how well he and Jasmine got along so quickly. He began to remember how his father said everything was so natural when he met his mother. There was no awkward force of conversation, no awkward silence, just easy going conversation. Although, he was surrounded by it all the time, he was shocked how well two people who just met could communicate to well. Ryder was about to respond to Jasmine when he was interrupted mid sentence by Brad screaming and laughing down the hallway.

"Ryder, the funniest thing just happened! Lauren just fell down the main stair-"

"It's your fault asshole. I was trying to balance the flyer boxes that you wouldn't help me carry. So fuc-oh who's this?"

The couple ended their typical bantering as they realized Ryder was walking with a girl they've never seen. The school is really big and new students come all the time but they usually don't go unnoticed by Lauren who is on the welcoming committee.

Jasmine smiled sweetly as usual and introduced herself, "Hi, I'm Jasmine."

"My god, you're gorgeous! Give some to me!" Lauren practically screamed. Yeah Lauren wasn't the quietest.

"Oh, wow thank you" Jasmine laughed and looked down a tad as her cheeks reddened.

"I'm Lauren and this is Brad."

Lauren looked over to Brad and realized he was too busy mind linking Ryder so she shoved him to get his attention.

"Oh! Uh sorry nice to meet you," he spoke before looking at Lauren.

"They're mates" Brad mind linked to Lauren. Lauren gasped and couldn't smile wider.

"Dude fuck you, I told you not to tell her right now. She's gonna freak out."

"I TOLD YOU IT WOULD HAPPEN SOON. THIS IS SO GREAT. I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU. SHE'S GORGEOUS."

Brad and Ryder flinched at the yelling and Jasmine was a little confused as to how it seemed like they were interacting with each other but not exactly speaking. She began to feel awkwardly singled out. Similar to earlier that morning, she bit down on her lower lip and took a step back feeling like she was invading their space. Ryder and his wolf immediately felt their mate's distance and looked at her. Ryder was about to say something to his mate when he saw her bottom lip between her teeth and fuck was she gonna have to stop that if she didn't want his wolf to surface. He was brought back to reality when he heard the warning bell ring.

Lauren snatched Jasmine's schedule out of her hand and beamed, "We have first period together. Let's go!" She started walking but Jasmine just couldn't move. She was so nervous. She usually wasn't but this school is so much bigger than her last one. It's just so different.

"Hey! Jasmine. Look at me," Ryder placed his hand on her arm causing her to look into his eyes. She was immediately calmed by his touch and took an unconscious step closer to him, "You'll be fine. Lauren will take you to your first class, and we'll meet up with you at lunch. You'll be fine, ok?"

She smiled weakly and nodded, "Yeah. Thank you. I'll see you later?"

Ryder smiled and nodded, "Can't wait."

Jasmine blushed and smiled before she was grabbed by Lauren who tugged her down the hallway saying they were going to be late.

"So you finally found your mate. How does it feel?" Brad slapped Ryder on the back speaking wilth a smile.

Ryder smiled in a trance thinking. All this time, and he finally had what he'd been looking for. "Amazing. Honestly Brad, I was beginning to lose hope."

"I'm happy for you. You're gonna have to do a hell of a lot of talking with your parents."

"What do you mean?"

"She's human dude...it's gonna work differently than it does with two wolf mates. Nothing drastic I guess. It's still great you found her...just make sure you talk to your dad, ok?"

Ryder nodded still not exactly sure what would be different but he would just talk about it with his parents. "Yeah, I will. Thanks. Come on, we're late."

Brad laughed, "What else is new?"

~

Ugh I'm sorry, I feel like these first two chapters were so boring. It'll get better, I promise! You meet a lot of other characters in the next chapter, so be on the lookout for it! Votes and comments would be lovely and very appreciated. Thanks for reading xx