Chapter 16: Flaws & Ceilings

Well the day has finally come. Those endless late nights of studying and reviewing of anything from the historical and business achievements that Frost Enterprise accomplished was buzzing around Jack's reckless mind. His eyelids were wide open, busy staring at the flat ceiling top. He looked over his side and watched the thin curtains dance against the morning breeze that entered through his bedroom balcony doors.

"Today is the day." Jack moved his numb body around his comfy bed, feeling grateful to finally sleep on a soft mattress than an old hard cushioning couch. For the last few nights Anna moved into Sophia's room because of the lonely nights without Jack accompanying her. This future CEO was stuck planning and studying all night long at the mansion's library.

The sight of his smartphone on his nightstand was sleeping peacefully until a quick flinch and buzz awaken it from its slumber.

With a tiresome groan that made him sound like a grumpy elder man, he sat right up and reached for it. He knew at the back of his mind neither of his friends would text him this early. Unless it was an emergency or either Hiccup and Rapunzel was drunk again.

"Yo Jack! It's Bradley. Long time no see man. How are you? Just texting you from Down Under. Sydney baby!"

The text on the screen was glowing brightly and bothering Jack's exhausted eyes. For all the people in his life, why would an old friend from his troubled past text him at this time. Why now?

From the message on the screen, the following words, "Long time no see," somewhat pulled a string from Jack's heart. He wasn't the type who enjoyed saying the word, goodbye; it wasn't in his nature. But, he was definitely the type that vanished from the world and never contact anyone in years. A somebody who once had a home and a life that decided to live like a nomad without the care of the world.

But, today, he might end his journey as a lost wanderer and finally start coming back home.

Jack simply ignored the text and went back to staring at the ceiling. Then glance at the digital clock. It was only five in the morning, so dawn was along the horizon.

"I'm gonna go for a run." Jack removed his covers and rolled out his bed.

After putting on some running clothes: a pair of sweatpants and a white shirt underneath his blue hoodie, he was off jogging down the estate's paved pathway.

At the end of the private road, he took a turn and headed straight down a hill. Although he was blasting music through his earbuds, Jack could still hear incoming cars passing by. But whenever he was lost in the groove of running alone, he couldn't stop and hear whoever was calling for him.

"Hey Jack!" A young female with a Scottish accent shouted at him.

Jack didn't look from behind and noticed Merida was out for a morning run too. She was already geared up in her archery uniform, but no sight of her bow and quiver. The curly ginger had her hair tied back into a ponytail that playfully swung side to side against the wind.

"Oyy Jack!" Merida ran ahead and stopped at the front of him.

Without looking what's in front of him, Jack was slow to look up and accidentally slammed into her. In a matter of seconds, Merida was about to fall back, but Jack was quick enough to catch her hand and pull her back up.

"Whoa, didn't see you there," Jack grinned while letting go of her hand.

"Awh, don't let go," Merida said inside before going into a trance of admiring Jack's handsome face and charming sapphire eyes. Even though it was still early in the morning, a street lamp was her only source of light to give her a chance to see him.