Chapter 28: The Rubble Or Our Sins (Part 2)

Chapter Rated: T

Jack left nothing behind. His tracks erased from the pouring rain as he raced into his car to hide from the pain that was building up inside. Jack sat in the driver's seat and stared deeply at the steering wheel. The ideas of wanting simplicity in his life, how he hungers for adventure - something legendary to put in his book for years to come. At the back of his mind, maybe he wasn't capable to run an empire. He wasn't strong enough to endure the secrets that his family hide away from him. He was too afraid to fail and hurt those closest to him.

What am I doing in my life? Jack pounded the top of the wheel. He gritted his teeth, so tightly, he heard the sound of them grinding against one another.

"What is wrong with me?" He sounded furious.

With a lot of questions, he found little to no answers. It was a tiring and a painful notion he has been facing for years. The desire to keep on going was slowly causing him to give up, wanting to lie down and completely forget everything.

"Should I leave everything to nothing?" He placed both of his hands on top of the steering wheel, leaning forward on his seat and stared down at the floor. While closing his eyes for a brief moment, he soon realized that he forgot something important.

He opened his eyes to search for his messenger bag aside where he placed it on the passenger's seat. The passage from his father's journal, he could still hear his uncle's voice echoing in his head, narrating those soothing, loving words of how something so mysterious and exciting could be so fragile. And yet, everyone held onto love for their dear life because of the impact it has for one who cherished it.

Years ago, Love wasn't a thought worthy enough for him to fight for. He was secretly hiding away from the sensation because he didn't want to hurt anyone, even his poor self. At that time, he experienced how to lose something so dear and fragile to him, he couldn't right away say goodbye to the memories he held over the years. He didn't say goodbye to Anna. He hardly had the chance to say goodbye or 'I love you' to his parents.

Jack shook his head and sat right back up on his seat. Straightening out his posture while staring through his windshield. The rain gradually fell softly as it began to stop pouring outside. He suddenly had a thought - to go somewhere that he hardly visited since moving back.

"The Marina," Jack gasped.

Without hesitation, he hurried back home. During arrival, he headed into the garage to look for a particular key to open up a family heirloom that was waiting for him by the fjord. In minutes he was back inside his car, drove straight back downtown and entered a quiet marina. He parked his car nearby the parking lot that led to a narrow boardwalk where other boats were parked. The overcast clouds above slowly separated - one by one, letting the sun's rays peek through. Jack walked along the wooden pathway, hearing the water gradually crashing against the wooden poles and rocks.

It's been years since he last step foot in his family's sailboat. The scenery was intoxicating with memories. Surprisingly, Jack still held onto them. There was this strange connection with him when it came to water. He lived and grew up by any body of water. And it never turned its back on him during a time of pain, struggle and grief. But was that the same case for him right now?

After carefully navigating through the maze of towering sailboats and yachts, he found his family's boat just off to the corner of the pier. Parked all alone, waiting for the day it would be used and loved once again. Jack came to a stop to read the name on the boat.