Chapter 27: The Rubble Or Our Sins (Part 1)

Chapter Rated: T

On that Sunday morning, the city of Arendelle looked more like Seattle than its usual self. Storm clouds rolled in last night, carrying a large batch of rain that fell like broken glass. The pouring rain brought along a band of lightning, roaring thunderously across the metropolis. Despite the chaos outside, Jack still had to come in for more meetings and finish up leftover files that needed to be analyzed and signed at work. However, since coming in early was a good thing, he was having trouble focusing his list of tasks. His secretaries noticed the dark circles underneath his eyes and very thin red lines across his eyes. When Emily greeted him a joyful ' Good Morning' despite the fact it was raining cats and dogs outside, he only managed to return a tired smile and grunted like an annoyed caveman.

After surviving his first meeting of the day, Jack was glad to be sitting back down on his office chair while facing the large scale windows that had a deary view of the city. He was slouching while watching the people down below go about their day. Just a tiny colorful assortment of umbrellas decorated across the wet gray concrete sidewalks. Against the pounding of the heavy downpour, he heard the bands of trucks honking and cars' engines roaring. While closing his eyes, he reminiscence the symphony of the hustle and bustling sound of New York City.

"If I stayed back there, would things be the same for me?" Jack whispered. The thought of New York was still occupying his brain. He wondered how his old life back in the city would have been if he still carried the regrets from his past. A great burden weighing on his shoulders.

The ideas of crawling and falling back into a dark hollow well, would drag him back to the years of being under the influence. Unhealthy and sinful actions tricked him into a life of despair and isolation that caused him to forget about his old life. The one that was filled with joy and hope. But, right now, he should be thankful for one little friend who guided him back home, safely.

"Anna came back to me during my darkest days." Jack covered his eyes with his hands, leaning forward in his chair. With his eyes still closed shut, a trail of memories flashed before his very eyes. They weren't memories when he was young, but, during the days he first met Anna after his illness. How those lazy afternoon playing video games in his old apartment brought tears in his eyes. Those nights he thought he was lonely, but, she was there to keep him company, reminding him of where he was from.

Now she finally guided him back home, a place where he truly belongs. Those days exploring Arendelle once again with his childhood friends was like time froze and nothing changed. The little girl brought him things he never imagine would come back to him. His family. His friends. His childhood crush. He was the one to find her dying wish, but, she instead brought him gifts of joy and hope that he lost years ago. Jack finally removed his hands from his face and opened his eyes to see the city once again. He reached over a box of tissue from behind his desk. After wiping away his tears, he looked over at the clock on his desktop computer. He leaned back on his chair with his hands behind his head, distracted with thoughts on how to fix everything - his family's corruption, his parents' case, Anna's wish, anything that's going on his reckless mind.

"How am I going to do this?" He said helplessly. His tired sapphire eyes looked around the room, admiring its grand beauty and knowledge. In between the hidden cracks, are secrets and files in every folder - filing cabinet held access to power. But, a solid black picture frame with an old wrinkled up photograph, dragged him back to a moment in time where he hungered the most.

Eight pairs of innocent and naive eyes staring back at him with their smiles stretched from ear to ear. All of them huddled together as they waited for the shutter to go off and a blast of light from the flash of an old digital camera captured a precious moment in time. A memory that tickled his mind and his face, causing him to at least smile for a moment. Soon, a burst of strength engulfed his body and soul. It wasn't time for him to hold back anymore, he needed to be the loyal guardian that he was meant to be.