Chapter 10: I Want To Get Better

WARNING: Rated = M. For some profanity and mentioning drugs and alcohol (Just to be safe) - Sorry for the long chapter.

****

The sound of the running subway train faded away when Jack slowly climbed up the flight of stairs that led to the surface of New York City. The symphony of night was exciting and lively to the human ear, melodies and beats of incoming traffic and voices walking down the streets.

Jack's smartphone yelped a quick beep from the inside of his jacket's pocket. He reached inside and saw a text message on the screen.

"Hey, I'm at the corner of East 72nd and 5th Ave. Where are you?"

Jack pressed the call button on his phone and waited for the receiver to answer the other end. "Hey, I'm on my way. The 6 train was running slow tonight," He explained.

"It's cool, I'll wait for you. See you soon, babe," said a charming female voice.

"Do I need to stop and pick up something?" Jack asked her.

"Nope, I think Bradley has enough stuff for the party. Just bring your ass here," she giggled.

Jack chuckled, "Alright, I'm almost there." He hung up and put away his phone. Then picked up his feet, dashing down 5th Ave until he saw the numbers of street signs counting upwards.

"68...69...70…" He counted while fighting the chilly late November weather. Although, the season was changing and the cold never bothered him; it was the season that made Jack excited and free. But, he kept his level of happiness to a medium; happiness came with a price was a strange belief he followed.

He won't let his past toxicate his mind tonight. The aroma of liquor and cigarette smoke tickling his nose and waking up his senses, was something he prefered. Then the company of a gorgeous girl who grew to know and love would be nice too.

"72. Now where is she?" Jack came to halt at the end of the street, scanning for the young lady from the phone. They were both twenty-one; college students studying at different schools in the city, but, different social classes.

"Lourdes!" Jack shouted at the young woman that stood underneath a street lamp. Her olive skin glisten underneath the saffron light. She wore a white knitted beanie that hugged the top of her brown veil that fell gently behind her back and shoulders. A pair of almond size hazel eyes locked into Jack's sapphire eyes.

"Jack!" Lourdes formed a sweet smile while rushing towards him. Her arms locked around his neck as she pressed a gentle kiss on his lips. She felt a rush of cold tickling the skin of her silky edge of her mouth.

"Damn you're cold," she commented with her attractive raspy voice. "Have you been nipping people's noses lately?" Lourdes smirked.

"Just because my name is Jack and my last name is Frost, doesn't make me that myth that brings winter every year," Jack gazed passionately into Lourdes's eyes with a crooked smile.

"How's 'Old Man Winter'?" Lourdes chuckled. The sound of her laughter reminded Jack of an old friend. Her angelic voice matched peacefully with another voice he used to know. Beside the age difference of comparing a little girl to a young woman, they were both elegant and reserved at the same time.

Just comparing her voice to his old friend made him reminisced about the days he used to spent time with her. The days: in the meadows, running home from school, those late afternoons at her backyard; pushing the old rope swing while giving her baby sister as she reached for the sky.

"No way you're callin' me that," Jack responded with a frown.

"Quit frowning like a sad clown," Lourdes nuzzled her nose against his.