Chapter 8: When We Were Young

The couch in the guest bedroom was nothing but a brick with four stubby feet. From the endless tossing and turning, Jack's mind was being so restless like a newborn child.

He laid on his side, looking at Anna peacefully sleeping on the guest bed. At least she's alright, Jack thought. Without trying again to fall back to sleep, he pulled over his covers and walked toward the window.

Outside was calm and quiet. The patches of grass was decorated with morning dew. The waves of the fjord swaying, back and forth from the shoreline. Behind the mountains, the sun was shyly rising.

Jack let out a tiresome sigh. He had a sudden urged to go outside. Well the sun's out, why not? He reflected.

After changing from the bathroom across the hall, Jack tip toed down stairs, while carrying his pair of tattered running shoes. He softly closed the front door of the manor, not wanting to wake up anyone. He slipped into his shoes, shuffled his music from his iPhone, plugged in his earbuds in order to get clear his mind. Soon he dashed down the driveway and jogged beyond the private dirt road.

After exploring around the neighborhood and running through off road trails that spiraled up to mountains paths. Jack settled down for bit at a cliff that had great view of sighting. He sat on the edge, letting his feet dangle over the rocks. There, he was at peace for just a moment.

When he saw the town's lights turning off, Jack sense the sleepy village by the water was waking up to start the day. Ships from the pier gradually leaving the ports. Little balls of lights which were cars, waking up, as they began cruising along the roadways and streets.

"Time to head back," Jack told himself. He followed the trail he previously took that easily led him back to town. The dreadful part of his morning run was when he had to ran back up a steep hill that led him back to the manor.

In the distance, an old BMW M3 slowly came to stop. The car began to creep gradually toward Jack.

"What the hell?" Jack spotted the car at the corner of his eye. He calmly hiked up the hill. But, the car was a few feet away from him. Suddenly the driver's windows was rolling down, revealing a familiar face.

"Hey Jackie!" A young man called out his name.

"Jackie?" Jack stopped jogging for moment, pulling out his earbuds.

"Jack! Morning." The car drove up to him and stopped. Inside the car was Hiccup with a cheesy smile on his face. Why was he up this early? Jack thought.

"Um morning?" Jack said worriedly.

"Why are you up this early?" Hiccup smiled at him. "I was going to ask you the same thing," Jack replied back.

"Oh. My pops forgot something. So he wanted me to drop off something at the police station." Hiccup explained.

"Donuts and coffee?" Jack chuckled softly. Hiccup quirked an eyebrow. "Nevermind…" said Jack, feeling a bit embarrassed that his friend didn't get the joke.

"So where are you heading up to?" Hiccup asked him. "I just finished a morning run. I plan on heading to my place," informed Jack.

"I was planning to head home too. Hey you want a ride?"

Just as Jack was about to either accept or decline Hiccup's offer, he saw an image of little kids running up the hill. They were a group of friends, somewhat like Jack's old friends. They were in hurry, going somewhere. Maybe important. But, as little kids, it was just for fun.

Without thinking, Jack ran across the street and following the group of kids. Unfortunately, Hiccup wasn't able to see the illusion, he just found his old friend acting a bit odd. Then again, the fact of him knowing that he's able to see Anna, that triggered something inside his brain. He might saw something that was connected to Anna's wish, he thought.