A Ban Lifted

"Thank you all for coming here today," Arthur addresses the council.
"As you may have guessed, I have gathered you all here to discuss a matter of great urgency. I ask that you all listen with open hearts and open minds. My decision is not up for debate."

The council looks at around at each other in slight concern. A few nod at their king, and Gaius gives him an encouraging smile. Arthur takes a deep breath and looks to the back corner of the room where his faithful servant is ever present. Merlin nods and Arthur gives a small smile in return. He takes a deep breath continues.

"For many years our kingdom has lived in a time of prejudice. Twenty five years ago my father outlawed magic under the penalty of death. This began the Great Purge, a time of great unrest for our kingdom. My father's intention supposedly was to protect the good people of Camelot. However, it was only for his own agenda. Magic was a friend of Camelot, but when magic gave him a price he did not approve of, he turned his back on magic. Many things have come to light in the recent months that has made me rethink this decision."

"Sire! What are you saying?" One of the older council members calls out.

"I have been speaking with the druids..."
The room gasps.
"And based on the evidence I have witnessed, I believe this law is outdated. Therefore, I am lifting the ban on magic."

The room erupts with shouts of anger. Many men rise from their seats. There are shouts of danger to the kingdom and of Arthur destroying his father's legacy. Merlin cannot help but shrink back into the corner a little more. Seeing their hatred of magic is nerve wracking, but expected. Arthur eventually calms the crowd down and gets them to take their seats.

"Do not think that I have taken this decision lightly. I have seen evidence that magic can be a force for good. It is like a weapon. It is not the weapon that harms another, but it is the user of it. Many of you would not be alive today if not for magic. The kingdom would have fallen a long time ago if not for the allies we have that have protected our kingdom."

"What allies?" One questions.
"Do you expect us to trust this mystery person if we do not know who they are? And what of the Lady Morgana?"

"I have dealt with Morgana. She has been nothing but peaceful ever since she has been here. And I trust this ally with my life. He has saved mine more times than I can count. There were be no further questions today. You all are dismissed."

***

Merlin and Morgana arrive at Arthur's chambers together, still confused as to why they were summoned. It has been about two weeks since the ban was lifted, and things are beginning to calm down. They look at each other hesitating before knocking on the door.

"Come in! Ah, thank you two for joining me. Took you both long enough."

Both Arthur and Gwen are in the room. Merlin gives Arthur an eye roll.

"Well it may surprise you to know, sire, that I do have other duties. For example, putting away your armor which takes a surprisingly long time."

"You're my servant, Merlin. It is your job to serve me whenever I need you. Well at least it was..."

"Sorry what?" Merlin looks up, shocked.
Did Arthur just say that Merlin lost his job?

"Never mind. Please sit. We all have some business to discuss."

Slightly concerned, Merlin and Morgana sit at the table with Arthur and Gwen. Gwen gives them a reassuring smile, but also a kind of... mischievous one? She knows something they don't. Arthur clears his throat before starting.

"So, first things first. Now that magic is legal, Morgana your punishment is up."

Arthur hands her the key, which she takes gratefully.

"Next, it has been a couple weeks since the law was changed and things seem to be settling down. Merlin, what have you heard from the Druids?"

"Everything seems to be going well, sire. Of course there are some citizens who have not taken kindly to druids within our borders, but the knights have been very helpful with that. I have told them to try and keep the peace with the people, and try not to use much obvious magic at the start."

"Perfect. They really will follow whatever you say, won't they Merlin?" Arthur raises an eyebrow.

"I mean technically I am their leader. They basically see me as royalty," Merlin chuckles.

"Hmm... how about that. You know, Merlin, I've been thinking. Since magic is now legal, this presents a whole new array of problems to face. I may need some official advisor for all the magical issues presented. Someone that the druids look up to, preferably."

Gwen and Morgana make when contact, in which Morgana quickly figures out what is going on. They both smirk at each other seeing that Merlin is still in the dark.

"Well, Iseldir would be a good option. He is basically their main leader. However, I don't know how accustomed he would be to living in Camelot."

"Yes yes, I thought of him. However, I was thinking of someone else. Someone a bit closer to Camelot."

Merlin looks down at the table, confused.

"Who?"

"Goodness Merlin; you are dull, aren't you?"

The girls snicker while Merlin continues to look confused. Arthur rises from his chair to fetch something, while Merlin continues to sit in confusion. Arthur returns with something akin to a smaller, silver crown.

"Merlin, as king of Camelot I am naming you Court Sorcerer of Camelot, and king of the druids. You will now be an official part of the council, with a say in all of our decisions. Of course, there will be an actual ceremony, but I figured I would tell you before then."

Merlin has no idea how to react. He can't decide whether to be grateful or terrified or confused. He ends up simply looking at Arthur with his mouth open for a good long while. Once finally gains a bit of control over his mouth, he chocked out,
"What?"

"Merlin, are you deaf as well as dumb? You are Court Sorcerer. Seeing as you are the king of the druids it only makes sense that you would be over seeing magic all together. Don't worry, I already spoke to the druids and they were overjoyed. We'll have a ceremony in a couple of weeks and it will all be official."

"I... I don't know what to say."

"Just say yes," Gwen, Morgana, and Arthur exclaim in unison.

"I... uh... yes! Thank you so much! Wait, but how will I have time to do this and be your servant?"

Arthur and Gwen sigh while Morgana simply pats Merlin's hand.

"You will no longer be my servant. Now you will have a new role to play in the kingdom as a royal advisor. But don't worry, I'll continue to boss you around. Now stop looking so shocked and just accept it. You don't really have a choice anyways."

"I... Arthur I don't deserve this."

"Deserve it? Merlin, of course you do! No one else has saved my life nearly as much as you have! You also know this kingdom better than almost anyone. You're are the king of the druids and the most powerful sorcerer to ever have walked the earth!"

Finally, Merlin can no longer contain his gratefulness. He stands up and gives Arthur a hug, thanking him in the process. After a second to process, Arthur hugs him back. Before they know it Gwen and Morgana are laughing and joining in. Gwen takes the crown from Arthur hand and playfully puts it on Merlin's head.

"I guess you'll be needing this from now on!"

"Only for ceremonies. But if you think I will be wearing a crown on a regular basis, you will be sadly mistaken. After all, don't forget that I'm just a servant."

"Merlin," they all groan in unison.

Morgana starts,
"Trust me, we all know that you are much more than a servant."