Chapter 25

Slowly but surely all the knights make their way back. They are all anxious to find out what happened to Merlin. When they get back they see both Arthur and Merlin sitting on the ground with Merlin's hands unbound. All the knights breathe a sigh of relief and sit with them forming a circle.

"So, I'm sure you all are wondering what decision has been reached regarding Merlin here. As you all probably assumed he will not be banished or executed or anything of the sort. However, I will be keeping a close eye on him, and I expect you all to as well."

The knights all nod, but Gwaine also gives a silent eye roll.

"He will continue to be my servant and accompany us on many of our endeavors. He will also be starting training, so I may be asking you all for help with that. Also, you all are not allowed to mention any of this to anyone! Absolutely no one! I don't believe I need to advise you of the consequences of this."

They all nod enthusiastically.

"Now that we went over that, any questions?"

"You're going to teach Merlin how to use a sword?" Elyan quips.

They all laugh lightening the mood a bit. Then Arthur answers.

"Yes. If he's so insistent on being out here saving our butts all the time he might as well know how to fight. It may prove useful at some point."

"And if it doesn't?" Merlin asks.

"Then I get the joy of watching you try to learn how to use a sword."

Arthur tries to joke, but Merlin can tell it comes out stiff. Even in Arthur's movements he can tell that the trust is broken. Merlin is determined to fix that. At this point he owes his life to Arthur, even as Arthur owes his own life to Merlin.

"So, now we need to discuss Morgana." Arthur motions to her limp body.
"As I mentioned before, I would still prefer to make peace with her. Right now, she's in magic blocking cuffs which means we can securely get her back to Camelot. However, we can't just leave because Merlin here is still stuck. We need to somehow convince her to release the spell without the cuffs on and then put the cuffs back on her so we can get her back to Camelot. From there we will try to reason with her and get her to surrender. As I'm sure many of you are aware Merlin may have a slight advantage when it comes to reasoning with her. That's why you're going to play a big role in this," he directs at Merlin.

"Me?"

"Yes. You said that you felt like you were getting through to her. And whatever just happened back there was pretty hard to ignore. If you're loyal to me, I'm asking you to also gain her loyalty."

"I will do my best," Merlin answers, unsure of whether this will actually work.

"Back to getting Merlin unstuck. Does anyone have any ideas?"

Silence. Various pieces of grass suddenly become very interesting to all the knights. Gwen simply gives Arthur a weak smile, not really knowing how to respond. Merlin, however, is in deep thought.

"Let me talk to her."

"Sorry, what mate? Your plan is to talk to her?"

"Yes. I was getting close to reasoning with her. I may be able to convince her to free me and come back to Camelot with us."

"And if that doesn't work?"

"Then I'm about twice as powerful as her and she's currently wearing the cuffs so she can't do much harm anyways."

The knights and Gwen all look at each other, thinking it over. It seems that there aren't many other options.

"Okay fine," Arthur says. "You can talk to her."

"Could we be alone? She probably won't trust me if you all are here?"

"Alone? I hardly trust you as it is. Why should I leave you and Morgana alone?"

"Because you don't have another choice. You will have the key to the cuffs, so there's not much point in leaving anyways. Please, just trust me. Let me prove my loyalty."

Arthur ponders a moment, wishing some other option will appear. Just then Morgana starts to stir.

"Fine," Arthur says to Merlin. "But I won't be far. Let's go."

With that, Arthur, Gwen, and the knights disappear into the woods.