Chapter 27

Arthur and the rest of the gang had been looking on the whole time. He could hear only a fraction of what they were saying, but they seemed to be working things out. Admittedly, Arthur still did not trust Merlin. In fact, part of him got nervous every time he couldn't hear what Merlin was saying. For all Arthur knew, they could be plotting against him. On the other hand, if Merlin wanted to kill Arthur he could of done so a long time ago. The only choice Arthur has at this point is to trust him. This mental battle continued throughout the whole conversation. Finally, Merlin signals to Arthur to come out.

Arthur quickly signals to the rest of the knights to stay put, and Arthur walks out alone. He tries to put in his most kingly stance as he walks up to Merlin and Morgana. Merlin gives him a small, hopeful smile, while Morgana still had yet to look up at him. Arthur clears his throat which causes Morgana to look up and stop leaning on Merlin. She straitens herself up and stares him down.

"So Morgana," Arthur starts, "are there some things that we need to discuss?"

"Yes, I believe there are," she replies coldly.

"Great," Arthur sits in front of them. "Then let's begin. Do you agree to surrender?"

Morgana scoffs in return. Merlin clears his throat.

"Maybe another word choice, sire?"

"Well what would you suggest?" Arthur asks, irritated.

"How about a truce?" Morgana suggests. "We both agree to cease fire and come to... peaceful terms. We can come to an agreement that benefits both of us."

"I hardly believe you're in any position to be making demands, Morgana."

"Ah yes, but remember that until I break the spell around this clearing your servant isn't going anywhere."

"And you should do well to remember that I hold the key to you regaining your magic, so I would tread carefully if I were you."

At this Morgana stops talking. Merlin clears his throat and motions for Arthur to proceed carefully.

"Alright, so say we call it a truce. What would you want on your end of the bargain?"

"My freedom. I want to be able to have a place in Camelot where I can live without fear of being executed. I also want you to stop hunting my kind. Break the ban on magic."

"Hold on- you are asking me to break the ban on magic? Do you know what you're suggesting? Can you even think of the repercussions?"

"Oh well. If you want peace this is what it will cost. You already have the world's most powerful sorcerer living within your walls."

"I didn't know that at the time..." Arthur mutters under his breath.

"How about a compromise?" Merlin suggests, gaining both of their attention.
"As much as I support allowing magic in Camelot, the kingdom is not yet ready. This change would need to happen over time. You could start with not actively searching for sorcerers. Then you could lessen the punishment. Give the punishment that fits the crime. I could reach out to the druids and help make peace with them. Over time, the ban will be forgotten."

Arthur ponders for a moment.
"I guess that could work. However, it would take time. The kingdom would be in upheaval if this were to happen overnight."

"That's what I'm saying. Introduce these changes slowly so people can grow accustom to magic being allowed in the kingdom."

Arthur nods his head in agreement. Both Arthur and Merlin look toward Morgana for confirmation. Reluctantly, she also nods her head in agreement.

"Well we've got that one taken care of. Now about you going back to Camelot. People will not take kindly to you just coming back into the kingdom. If you're not taken back as a captive, I don't know how you will be allowed back in Camelot. This is also not to mention the many citizens that you killed."

Morgana bows her head. She knew this was coming but she didn't want to go through with it. However, she also knew that she would have to pay for her crimes. It is the only way.

"I know. Claiming peace cannot repay all the lives that I took. I know that it will take a lot to convince you, but I am truly sorry. I realize that I was wrong. I am willing to swear my loyalty to you and take the punishment for the crimes I have committed."

Both Arthur and Merlin look at her in shock. Both are unable to comprehend what she just said. Neither expected that she would be so willing to pledge her allegiance to Arthur. Not only that, but she's willing to take the punishment? Arthur regains his composure.

"Okay... well I know that I cannot just let you walk free; at least not at first. You will come back to Camelot with us in these chains. After that you can publicly apologize and swear your allegiance to Camelot. To prove your loyalty, I ask that you continue to wear the manacles until the ban on magic is lifted. We can remove the chain so that you can move freely. Then after that you can be officially a free citizen of Camelot."

At first Merlin wants to interject, asking you lessen the punishment. He keeps his mouth closed though. Deep down he knows that Morgana deserves a much worse punishment. He looks at her with hope, pleading with his eyes that she will say yes. When Morgana nods in acceptance, Merlin breathes a sigh of relief.

"Then it is settled. You will come back to Camelot and live there. In time I will lift the ban on magic and you both can live out of hiding. There's only one thing left to do."

Arthur rises to his feet and reaches out his hand to Morgana. She takes it and he helps her to her feet. Arthur unlocks the cuffs and Morgana breaks the barrier surrounding the clearing. Morgana looks back at Merlin and gives him a smile. Merlin wraps her up in his arms, beaming with joy that this will all work out. They stand there in their embrace for a few seconds, and Arthur could swear that they're almost glowing. When they release, Arthur gathers everyone up so that they can begin the trip back to Camelot. Merlin and Morgana walk hand in hand in the middle of group, happy that it all worked out.