Chapter 19

The previous night, Merlin and Morgana agreed to act basically as friends; just like old times. Granted, Merlin was still trapped in Morgana's bubble, he didn't mind that much. He was well aware that there are worse ways to be trapped. He had his magic and he had a level of freedom, which is a lot better off than he was before. Besides, he felt like he may be starting to get through to Morgana. He missed seeing her happy. He would catch glimpses of the old Morgana from time to time, and he would hold onto that.

After their conversation about Camelot, they spent much of the night catching up. Morgana told him where she had been the past year. Merlin had a few funny stories about Camelot to share. They were careful to avoid any subjects of real importance; they were enjoying each other's company too much for that. Eventually they both fell asleep next to other in the cold night.

As Morgana begins to wake, the first thing she notices is the cool ground beneath her, and the grass surrounding her. Then she notices that her side and head are warm. She opens her eyes and realizes that her head is laying on Merlin's chest. How did that happen? She can also feel that his hand is resting on her arm. Part of her considers pushing away immediately, but she decides not to wake him. Besides, she's comfortable.

Morgana thinks back to the previous night. She had no nightmares! She hasn't slept without nightmares in who knows how long. It was refreshing, and it gives her a clear mind to think. So... Merlin has magic, and powerful magic at that. She thought back to the blast of golden energy that came from him as his magic returned. She also can't forget how much the manacles drained him. He almost seemed on the verge of death.

What if he's Emrys, she thinks to herself. Her eyes grow wide with realization. Of course! That's how Emrys always managed to stop her! For Merlin to be this powerful and know who Emrys is could only lead to one conclusion. Should she kill him or run away? She begins to panic. Then she stops herself, feeling the peaceful rise and fall of Merlin's chest. If he had intended to kill her he would have done so already. She will have to confront him though. After that she will decide what the best course of action is.

Morgana pulls away from Merlin and leans on her side. Merlin begins to stir by her movement. He opens his eyes and looks around until his eyes land on her. He groans and rolls over to face her.

"Good morning," he says tiredly.

"Good morning."

Morgana lets silence draw out for a few seconds allowing Merlin to properly wake up. Then she starts,

"So... Emrys."

She didn't say it in a question. She made it sound like she was calling him Emrys. But she doesn't know right? Merlin decides to try to play it off hoping that she's bluffing.

"I'm still not telling you who it is."

She chuckles in response. Of course he won't say it outright.

"Don't worry about that. I already know."

He can tell by her face and voice that she does. He raises his eyebrow at her.

"And I'm still alive?"

"Oh, I figured I'd give you a chance to explain yourself. Besides, what fun would that be?"

"How did you figure it out?"

"The manacles have a greater effect on those with greater magic. As for creatures of magic, it can even kill them. Plus, that display of power yesterday was pretty impressive. That also explain how Emrys has managed to foil all of my plans."

He nods. "That makes sense."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"What, you mean before you tied me up?" He replies cheekily, earning a snicker from Morgana.

"Well- yes. Long before I tied you up."

"I couldn't. Back in Camelot, the name wouldn't have meant anything to you anyways. Then afterwards, you would've killed me on sight."

"That's valid." She shrugs. Then she remembers the question that has really been plaguing her mind.
"Why haven't you killed me yet? You've had plenty of opportunity."

He looks at her thoughtfully.
"Because I don't want to kill you. I want us to be friends. I want you to join me."

"That can't really happen, can it? I mean, it's against destiny."

"Maybe destiny is wrong..." he stops for a second and thinks.
"Or maybe we interpreted it wrong."

"Maybe..." she ponders.

She thinks it over. The prophecy said that he is her destiny and he is her doom. It seemed pretty clear at the time. Her destiny... that either means he destined to kill her or...

She shakes her head trying to clear her thoughts. She can't hope for that. Merlin only ever saw her as a friend anyways. She looks over at him and sees him deep in thought as well. She stands up and decides to change the subject to something lighter.

"So... Emrys-"

"Merlin," he corrects, as he also stands.

"What can you really do?"

***

The knights and Guinevere all wake up early the next morning. Every one of them is eager to start their journey and hopefully rescue their friend. As Leon suggested, Arthur split the knights into two groups: one to guard the hovel, and the other to follow Morgana's tracks. As it turns out, Gwaine, Percival, Elyan, Arthur, and Gwen end up being the group to go search. Arthur would've brought Leon with them, but he needed someone to be in charge of the group back at the hovel. After a few minutes of searching around the perimeter of the hovel, they find two sets of tracks leading into the woods. The five of them mount horses and set off.

After a few minutes, the silence between them becomes unbearable. Gwaine, of course, attempts to break it.

"So, what are we going to do when we find them?"

"We're going to save Merlin, and ideally capture Morgana."

"And if he's hurt?"

"Same plan except we also need to take care of Merlin. Gwen will be able to help with that." Gwen nods in agreement.

After a beat, Elyan says,
"Why are you so keen on capturing her? Why not just kill her?"

That's the question, isn't it? Deep down inside Arthur still cares for her, but he can't explain why.

"She's my sister," he finally answers. "Despite all the crimes she committed against Camelot, she's family. If at all possible I would rather make peace with her than kill her."

"Whatever you say, mate," Gwaine responds.