31.

Cassie had taken awhile to decide what she should do about James liking her back. She'd been unsure whether she should make a move to make him aware that she was very much interested in the whole more then friends thing, or whether she should wait for him to realize it himself by dropping small hints.

Cassie realized after all of this that James Potter was one of the most oblivious people that existed. Surely if she left it up to him, they'd stay friends who wanted more forever or they'd move on. She wasn't sure what would be worse.

With all these thoughts flying around her head she decided to go down to the quidditch pitch.

James had gotten out of his last final of the day. He'd been doing tests all week and he was glad he only had one more day and then it'd be time to go home. However, he wasn't exactly as ecstatic as he should've been as he hadn't actually gotten to talk to Cassie that week. They'd maybe exchanged five 'hellos' over the past eight days. A rare, unheard of occurrence. It was uncommon for Cassie to not tell him at least three stories a day, meaning only one thing; she had to be avoiding him.

James ran through all the things he'd done lately in his mind, searching for anything that might've caused Cassie to be upset with him. The last time she had avoided him was their fight in Hogsmeade months ago. James began to feel panicky at that thought. What had he done and how could he make it right? He was sure that he couldn't apologise for something he didn't know that he'd done. It would be an empty apology and Cassie didn't deserve that.

James was being driven mad and he knew the only way he could fix it was by going to the source. He took out the Marauders' Map and searched for her name.

She was at the quidditch pitch, not surprising.

He pocketed the map, grabbed his broomstick and made his way toward the pitch.

She was flying around when James got there, doing small tricks and throwing around a quaffle. James mounted his own broom and kicked off.

"Cassie!" He yelled her name when he had become close enough that she was bound to hear him. She pulled up from her spiralling dive, flipped her head up causing her hair to land on her left side and slowly slide back into place as she stilled.

"James?" She'd dropped the quaffle to the ground and spoke with a breathy voice. She grinned at him then, confusing James even more than he had been before. Was she angry at him or not?

"I'll race you to the post and back?" James suggested. He knew Cassie couldn't resist a good bit of competition and if he was going to get her talking to him he had to start somewhere.

Cassie's eyes narrowed playfully. "Think you can beat me?"

"Of course." James waved his hand around with easy confidence.

"You're on!" She took off, James following after her quickly. The two were lightning fast, with Cassie's broom only a few feet in front of James'. She sped past the goal posts and turned around, James met her.

"You had a head st-" he started to make an excuse, but Cassie leaned forward. Her lips met his, successfully cutting him off. James brain exploded. Cassie was kissing him. He leaned forward, attempting to bring her closer than she already was. He felt her lips twitching in a smirk against his, but he couldn't find himself caring enough about why to pull away from their lip lock.

Cassie pulled away from James just as quickly as she had instigated the kiss and left him flabbergasted. She rocketed to the ground and landed smoothly. She glanced up at him and called out loudly with a huge grin.

"Haha I win!" James nearly fell off his broom, he straightened quickly and dived down after her. She was already walking off the pitch, he couldn't have that now!