22.

Cassie was glad that she'd gotten through her first week back from vacation. She felt tired already and couldn't believe that the next vacation wasn't until April. The hangover drought had taken away her headache, but it hadn't stopped her from being entirely exhausted. She'd already helped James clean the common room and eaten lunch. She was completely ready to throw herself onto her bed and take a small, well-deserved nap. The day was bitter cold and it was snowing outside so she figured it was the perfect weather for taking a nap.

However, upon entering her dorm she heard a noise that made her stop in her tracks. The noise was muffled crying.

"Layla, what's the matter?" She'd crossed to her friend's bed in record time and sat down beside her. She patted Layla's shoulder gently.

"N-nothing." The blonde girl sniffed out. Cassie rolled her eyes in exasperation.

"Come on sweetie, you can tell me." She coaxed while rubbing Layla's back. Layla took a shuddering breath and turned to face Cassie slowly. Her face was puffy, red, and tear-streaked. It nearly broke Cassie's heart in half to see.

"It's just…" Layla sniffed and whispered more words carefully. "Some boy said that I didn't belong in Slytherin. H-he said I wasn't anywhere near clever enough and that I- that I was better suited as a m-muggle since I'm a filthy m-mudblood." She sniffed again before continuing. "I know it's not really that big of a deal and I probably shouldn't be cr-"

Cassie cut Layla off angrily.

"Who is this enormous wanker?" Layla glanced up through teary eyes at Cassie.

"What?" Cassie's eyes were blazing and she'd stood quickly from the bed. Her hands were bunched into tight fists. She repeated herself.

"Who was the arse faced wanker that said that bull?"

"Ralph Fawley." Layla responded slowly. "I think he's a Ravenclaw." She appeared confused as Cassie began walking towards the door.

"I'll be right back." Cassie's voice was unmistakably filled with rage. Layla's eyes went wide and she jumped up from the bed to follow after her.

"No Cassie-" Cassie was already gone from the room and storming down the stairs. "Please don't do anything stupid!" Layla yelled to Cassie's back slightly horrified.

Cassie knew that she was probably about to do something very stupid. She couldn't bring herself to care though. Once she'd stormed from the Slytherin common room she realized she had no clue where Ralph Fawley might be. Her temper was boiling and she was ready to blow. Her feet paced quickly back and forth as she thought of what to do. The idea came to her suddenly.

She ran for the Gryffindor common room. She had a fairly clear path there as almost everyone was either in their dorms, the library, or their common rooms. She ran up to the Fat Lady's portrait and spat out the password she'd used from the other night.

The Fat Lady scowled at her. "How rude!" She huffed.

"Yes, yes, just open." The Fat Lady swung open grumbling after Cassie's form. She slipped into the common room and saw just the person she'd been looking for.

"James." The word was a snarl and she ran for the boy. He looked up from his game of exploding snaps as Cassie came charging towards him. His eyes went wide instantly.

"Cassie?" She grabbed his arm and hissed in his ear.

"I need the map." He stood slowly and viewed her carefully.

"Cassie? What's going on?"

"Is it in your dorm?" She tore up the boy's staircase, not waiting for him to answer her. James ran up after her.