Chapter Thirty-Six

It was a few months later. We had just finished a case in Miami dealing with ritualistic murders. 

On the plane home, I sat by Reid. I'd noticed that something was bothering him. He seemed to be having headaches. 

I got a piece of paper and wrote him a note; as to not let anyone else know about his headaches. 

"Are you okay?" I wrote. I passed it to him, with a pen. 

"I'm not sure. I've been having really bad headaches and hallucinations." 

I frowned. "That's odd. Do you know why? Maybe you hit your head recently?" 

He shook his head. "I don't think so. We can talk about this at my apartment once we get home," he wrote. 

I nodded and crumpled up the note, putting it in my pocket. Morgan looked at us suspiciously. "Why are you two passing notes?" 

"They're exchanging words of love, Derek, let them be," said Rossi as he squinted down at a crossword puzzle. 

"We're discussing private matters," I said. 

"Mhm," said Morgan, putting his headphones back on. 

I rolled my eyes and smiled at Spencer.

"Are they always like this?" asked the newest agent, Seaver. 

"Yeah, its best to just get used to it," said Emily. 

"Like what?" asked Reid. 

"Yeah, like what?" 

Rossi exchanged a glance with Emily. "I'll be damned if they ever see it," he said. 

I shared a confused look with Spencer before returning to my book. He saw me reading. "What book is that?" 

"Oblomov, by Ivan Goncharov," I said. 

"Is that in the original Russian?" 

I smiled. "Of course." 

He smiled and nodded. "That's a good one." 

I nodded before continuing with my reading. 

A few hours later, I sat on Spencer's couch. 

"I just... I don't know whats wrong with me. Its really bothering me. I just can't find the answer." 

"Have you thought about consulting a professional?" 

"Yeah, none of them know what's going on." Spencer put his head in his hands. 

"Do you think it's psychosomatic?" 

"No, Laney, I don't. What if this is a sign of schizophrenia? What if my mom passed it down to me?" 

I put my hand over his. "Hey, it'll be okay." 

He nodded and sighed. "I wish I could talk to my cousin." 

"Is she a specialist in Neurology?" 

"She's a specialist in all sorts of things, but yeah, neurology and psychology are her best subjects. She's really smart." 

I nodded. "You should give her a call." 

Reid shook his head. "I can't." 

"Why not?" 

"She has a stalker. If they find out she's talking to someone, then she and I could be in danger." 

I nodded. "Oh." 

He sighed. "Yeah." 

I looked at the ground. 

"Hey, Laney?" 

I looked up at him. "Yeah?" 

"Could you keep this between us? I don't really want the team to find out; they'd treat me like a baby." 

I nodded. "Yeah, of course." 

He smiled. "Thanks." 

OK I know, I'm sorry. It was a short chapter. This was just kind of a filler. I'm planning on skipping forward a bit; things are a bit slow right now and I'm getting a little anxious to just get to the good part already. Don't worry, hopefully the next chapter will set the ball rolling a little bit. Anyways, hope you all enjoy it so far :)