Chapter Seventeen: Rivals?

I open my eyes as I lie next to Smoke, his arm around me, our bodies hidden underneath the sheets. The morning sun shines on the realm much dimmer today, and clouds cover the sky. I steal a glance at Smoke, placing a hand on his smooth face. Strange thinking how an enemy has become my future.

I exit the sheets, exposing my body. I stand, stretch, and proceed to my wardrobe, opening it. I grab a random set of gear and dress myself. It is two pieces, magenta, and resembles the gear I wore yesterday. I slip on a different mask and finger-less gloves. I turn to Smoke again who is still asleep gently, eyes shut and breathing at a steady pace. I should address the Thunder God, but I want Smoke to be there with me once I do so.

The cottage door flings open and I instantly turn, seeing Li Mei standing in my door way. Her eyes land on me, then to Smoke, then to our clothes on the floor. She lets out a gasp and covers her mouth, looking as if she is trying to hold back a laugh.

"By the Gods..." her voice is somewhat muffled by her hand.

I glance at Smoke, making sure he is still asleep and then turn my attention to Li Mei, leading her out of the cottage and shutting the door quietly.

"It is exactly what it appears to be, but listen," I say as she giggles.

The forest appears much more mysterious and darker than the past days I have spent here. The clouds seem to get darker and darker by each minute.

"I have decided to join the Earth Realm forces," I say in a low voice.

She lets out another gasp, this one louder than the first.

"I am absent for the night and you hit me with something like this?" she inquires in shock. She has a point however.

"Yes, but first I must address the Thunder God before he leaves to the tower with his forces," I say.

"Then I shall accompany you," she replies.

"There is more," I add.

"Oh, what is it?"

"I murdered Rain. I also discovered that I am just a clone of Kitana crossed with Tarkatan essence. I am just her duplicate..." I admit.

Li Mei faces me with worry and steps closer, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"But if she is joining Earth Realm, and you are joining Earth Realm...that means..."

I peer upward at Li Mei.

"I...must make amends. All this is not her fault, it is the emperor's. Do you know of her current location?" I question.

"Yes, she resides in a cottage near mine, I can show you the way if you would like," she offers.

It takes me a moment to consider the offer. Am I truly ready to make amends with my lifetime rival? The whole point of me going on with this tournament was to turn Shao Kahn against her and then end her life. Well it is never too late for a change; I was created from her blood after all.

"Alright, let us be on our way."

She gives me a smile before taking off to the left as I follow and keep up the pace. The clouds get darker, causing the forest to display of a deeper and darker green. We tread into the tall tree areas, the birds chirping slightly quieter and much less than usual.

"Do you know what you plan on saying to her?" Li Mei asks.

"Not exactly, but I shall think of something."

"I wonder if Shao Kahn has discovered Rain's death; he is one of his best generals. Well, was," she replies.

"When he does, he will know it was me, which is why this is something I must do," I say.