- | Step-Brother | - JRA

For Renee, aka wdw_laughz ❤️

- | -

It's not wrong, right? We're not technically related, we don't share the same DNA. So it's not wrong that I'm stood here, staring at my shirtless step-brother playing Call of Duty on the couch. Right?

I let out the smallest exhale, not wanting to make my presence known as I turn around and walk into the kitchen. Jack Avery is my step-brother, but he hasn't been for very long. My mom and his dad got married a year ago and since then I've only seen him four times. He lives in LA and his mom and the other side of his family live there too. He appears to like them a lot more than us.

But I don't blame him. Seattle is cold and wet and depressing. If I had the money to live in LA, I'd be there tonight. My mom isn't the type to settle down for long so I honestly wasn't expecting it when she told me she was getting married. Imagine my surprise when I find out she's marrying the father of a hot ass boy band member.

And since I've found that out I've been anticipating his visits for the past year. It's the start of 2020 and he's here for a week. He got here last night unbeknownst to me and so when I walked down the stairs this morning I was extremely angry that I look like a Sasquatch while he's sat half naked on the damn couch.

I pull my hair into a bun quickly, and then walk to the Keurig to make coffee. I feel like I should offer him a cup, but we don't exactly have the best relationship. I don't know who started it really, but somehow we've only ever been absolute assholes to each other. It's pointless behavior but I can't get myself to act any other way. I think it's my defense mechanism so I can stop myself from thinking of licking up and down his delicious abs.

I clear my throat, shaking my head at the visual as I add the perfect amount of cream and sugar to my coffee and then take my chances at walking past Jack quickly and back up the stairs to my room.

"Kind of rude of you not to say hi, isn't it?" I freeze as I'm about to set my foot on the first stair and Jack speaks. When I turn myself around, his game is back on the home screen and he's glaring at me. I don't know why I'm scared, as I know he's just looking to pick a fight with me but somehow I feel like a kid who's gotten in trouble.

"Hi Jack." I mutter, barely audible. He seems content momentarily, until he zeros in on the cup of coffee in my hands. And then he scoffs.

"I thought I smelled coffee too. Wow Renee, not so much as a hi and you don't bother to offer your guest a morning beverage." I roll my eyes at him. He sounds like such a prima donna. I don't really know what his life is like back home but I can imagine he must have people waiting on his every beck and call.

"Is there something wrong with your feet?" I pipe up with a sudden surge of confidence. As though to prove my point he stands up, walking towards me. I gulp as I can't help my eyes wandering down to his Reebok sweatpants. What the fuck is wrong with him?

"What's that?" He questions me, like he can't believe what I just said. I stop my eyes wandering, hoping I've not made it too obvious as I snap them back to his.

"Well obviously there's nothing wrong with your feet, so you could easily walk to the kitchen yourself and get your own morning beverage." I say the last part mockingly but this appears to be a big mistake as Jack comes stalking up to me.

I'm trying my best not to flinch but I have to in the slightest as he gets much closer to me than I anticipated. My green eyes bore into his brown and I think I've started to hyperventilate as it's not his breath that is staggering. He leans his face down to me and I'm wondering if he's about to kiss me right now. This would be quite possibly the weirdest time and place but I don't doubt I would kiss him back.