Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One (Skye's POV)

An hour after Rose left, I was sitting and finishing my homework for the weekend.

When I heard light footsteps coming up the stairs of the front porch, I frowned, Either Rose forgot something, or hell had frozen over, and Aunt Lauren has come home early...

I waited for a knock, or the sound of Aunt Lauren's keys jingling – but it never came.

I stood and walked to the hallway, looked through the peephole. I was even more confused when I couldn't see anyone on the front porch. I opened the door hesitantly, wondering if the digital bell needed new batteries – when I was knocked to the ground by a dark blur.

I felt my entire body lock down, and my thoughts turn distant and robotic, Black eyes and a muzzle wet with blood...

"Skye!" Little Ben screamed from his position on my chest.

I sighed, banging my head none too gently against the floorboards to shake off the memories. "Ben! Did you sneak out of the house again without your Dad?".

I heard a deep chuckle and craned my neck, "Not this time", Rob commented offhandedly, as he walked up the path.

I tickled Ben's sides enough to startle him into falling beside me, and sat up, "Hey, Rob; are you working again today?" I smiled casually, knowing he knew I was really asking how long Ben would be staying with me for.

"Yeah – they just called and offered me a night shift. I probably won't be home till late, so you are free to have dinner at our place and crash on the lounge until I get back from the bar; should be around eleven tonight...". He said, sounding relieved and embarrassed for asking for help again.

"I have an even better idea", I declared excitedly as I mussed Ben's knotted brown hair, He needs a haircut again... "Why don't Ben and I have a sleepover here tonight? And then I'll bring him tomorrow morning after breakfast?"

Rob's worn face went slack in appreciation, "You are an angel, Skylar – I don't know what I would do without you".

"It's ok – I've missed my little man", I smiled as I stood and held Ben's hand. "And this way you may get a bit of a sleep-in tomorrow", I nodded at the bags under his eyes, letting him know I realised how burnt out he was.

Rob worked three different jobs each in a casual position, and sometimes couldn't scrape together enough money for rent – let alone day-care and babysitting for his son.

I never asked where Ben's Mum was but knew that sometimes Rob's Mum was free to look after Ben. But, she was getting on in years, and I knew Rob hated asking his sixty-year-old Mum to chase after her energetic, three-year-old grandson too often.

As we waved goodbye to Rob, I settled Ben down at the breakfast bar. After supplying him with a bowl of diced fruit and one of his favourite books – from the When I'm Feeling series – I brushed his wild hair.

"Now, Benny – you know the drill", I reminded him softly, "If you can sit still while I cut your hair and make you look David Beckham-awesome, I'll make us pancakes for dinner as a special treat".

Now that the excitement of seeing me for the first time this week had passed, Ben settled into his seat and nodded solemnly, "I pinkie-promise, Skye-ah". I smiled at his attempt to call me by my full name like his Dad always did, and ran my fingers gently through his hair, "Good boy..."

Twenty minutes later, I had lifted him into my arms so he could inspect the haircut for himself in the entryway mirror, and only let him down when he nodded his approval.