Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine (Rose's POV)

Later that night, I heard soft footsteps come up the stairs, and a hesitant knock on my bedroom door. I sat up from where I was sprawled sideways across my bed, bookmarking To Kill A Mockingbird with my finger, so I didn't lose where I was up to, "Come in, Anns..."

Annie's red hair was even wilder than normal – I didn't think that was possible – and she didn't say anything as she pushed a few textbooks off my desk onto the floor so she could sit cross-legged on the cream surface. I laughed despite myself, "There is a chair right beside you..." She didn't smile in response, and my own grin faded.

Why didn't you tell me, Anastasia?... I switched to the mind-link, knowing this wasn't a conversation to have within earshot of opinionated pack members.

I was scared, Rose-Marie – and when I did tell you, you reacted precisely how I worried you would! Her mental voice was strained, as she tried to contain her frustration and anger.

I furrowed my brow for a moment, puzzling out her words.

When the mental lightbulb lit up, I groaned, hitting my head against the wood headboard to punish myself. I knew exactly what she meant without her having to explain. I am such an asshole of a sister... Aunt Maria, be damned...

"You do have a choice, Rose; you can reject her and never see her again if that is what you want..." Annie's comforting words to me when she found out about Skye. 

"Anns, you rejected him?"... My accusation when I learnt about their mating.

I'm so sorry, Annie, I whispered into her mind, trying to convey that I genuinely meant it. I was just so shocked – and I spoke without thinking; I know that doesn't excuse my behaviour... You know you don't have to mate with anyone if you don't want to...

I rose, and hugged my sister close – with the height of the desk her face fell into the crook of my neck, which she nuzzled instinctively, I know, Rosie – it just hurt to hear my big sister say that I didn't have a choice...

I ran my hands through her curls, You always have a choice, little sister; and from here on out, I will stand by you without question. If you really want to reject Nate – I'll support your decision...

I heard her sniffle softly but didn't acknowledge the tears because I knew it would embarrass her if I did, I don't know what I want anymore...

I tried to phrase the question carefully, so I didn't hurt Annie further, Why did you reject him, Anns? I know you don't have to justify it to me – you could have no reason at all of wanting to wait for a relationship... But... I knew I wasn't explaining it right, so I stopped trying.

Rose-Marie, do you know what the hardest part of losing my parents was? Annie's voice had evened out, devoid of emotion.

Anns, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to – I began.

I was just a kid, but I remember being so sure about my life. I thought that Mum and Dad would live forever, Ash and Lia would have the baby, and I would be an Aunty, and then one day I would find my mate and get my own happily ever after like them. And then I lost them all in one devastating blow – Liana died in childbirth, Ashton went crazy from it and murdered Mum without knowing what he was doing, Dad couldn't live without his mate and killed himself... And then there is me – left all alone.

I gripped my sister tighter, wishing I could wave a magic wand and give her a better childhood – normal, happy memories. She didn't deserve for any of that to happen; if there is a Moon Goddess, I want to slit her throat because bad things always seem to happen to those who don't deserve them...