Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five (Rose's POV)

I wish there were something I could do to help my Skye sleep better, I thought as I sat drawing on the corner of my page in Biology. When I had walked her to class, she seemed like an entirely different person than the one I had begun to know in the past week; she was quieter – if that was even possible – to the point of being withdrawn, and her eyes were dull and unfocused.

Bio class really puts my patience to the test, I reflected as I watched Jason lean forward and poke Mickey in the back for the fifth time with the sharp end of his pen. Michael managed to convince the asshole of a human that he was unaffected, but I could feel the tension radiating off the introverted wolf.

You know, Mickey – just say the word, and I will make sure that he never bothers you again, I mind-linked my packmate. It was natural for me to feel protective of those in my pack, but I had always been especially sensitive to the safety and wellbeing of our more vulnerable wolves. Physically, Mickey is fully capable of teaching Jason a lesson – but it just isn't in his personality to hurt anyone.

I remembered little Nic from last night, "She took advantage of him – knowing he would believe her"... I hadn't really blamed the brown-haired boy for teaching Nora a lesson; maybe it would stop her from growing up into a bully like Jason if she realised that her words had the power to hurt people, and that wasn't something to laugh about or be proud of.

It's ok, he is kind of like a fly buzzing around; annoying but ultimately harmless. If I just ignore him, he will leave me alone eventually; there is no reason to waste my energy trying to shoo him away, Mickey responded quietly.

I kicked Jason's chair for good measure when Mrs Walsh turned her back – causing the little human fucker to glare over his shoulder at me. I smirked, showing a hint of teeth and was gratified when I heard his heart skip a beat. That's right, fuck-face; remember that you aren't invincible... If I didn't value Mickey's opinion so much, I would have ground you into dust the day I met you...

Time went by a lot faster once Jason left Michael alone – and I was in a far better mood by the time I sat with Skye in Calculus. She still seemed tired and reserved, and I wished that we were closer so I could ask if there was anything I could do to make her feel better. That's not the mating bond talking – I want to help Skye because she is a genuinely kind person and doesn't deserve any of the shit I suspect had been thrown at her in life...

I settled on just resting my forearm on the back of her chair like always, kind of peeved because she wore such a heavy jacket that I couldn't feel the soft skin of her shoulders and neck like I usually did.

It was normal for me to seek physical affection, especially in a pack as close-knit as mine – but that was nothing compared to the craving I had to be close to Skye. Not only was she my mate - but also smelt really fucking good, and her skin was so unbelievably soft, and I felt my entire self calm down when I was next to her. I just can't let Mum see me initiate skin contact constantly with Skye; it will only encourage her to try and hug me more often...

Skye is definitely not right today; she isn't even writing notes on Mr Holmes's lesson, I furrowed my brow. Feeling powerless – and absolutely loathing it – I grabbed out my own book and began slowly copying down the formulas from the whiteboard.

I was glad I was left-handed; it meant I could write and still keep my right arm around Skye – just casually, not possessively at all, I told myself.

Thankfully, Mr Mosley didn't call on either of us in English third-period and even left Helen be for once. Skye sat absent-mindedly stroking the edge of a page in the novel I bought her, and I smiled proudly to know that I had done something right for my mate.

When lunch eventually rolled around, I risked linking my fingers through Skye's as I led her to the cafeteria. I smirked as a light blush made its way across her cheeks, That's my girl... I bought two sandwiches silently, remembering Skye's eagerness to eat the chicken and mayonnaise one last week – I think that's her favourite...

As we sat outside, I mind-linked Annie – stopping her in her tracks as she began to make her way towards us, I don't think Skye's up for company, Anns... I saw her nod thoughtfully before turning on her heel to sit with Helen – who barely glanced up from her artbook to nod at Annie.

Being packmates didn't mean we were all automatically friends; it was more like an overgrown family – you loved some of your relatives more than others, but if any of them were in trouble you would be the first to step in and help. I knew Helen was closer with Amos, and Annie more so with Mickey; but they still sat in companionable silence, having grown up together.

I turned my attention back to my quiet mate, "Skye? Remind me to give you a copy of our notes from Calc and English before I drop you home this afternoon".

I was surprised, and satisfied, when I saw her little blonde head move closer to me, "Thank you, Rosie". I've always taken for granted my acute hearing – I never realised I would need it to hear Skye speak when she was in a quiet mood... "If you want to, you can just come over this afternoon, and I'll copy it all straight into my notebook". She sounds so hopeful - as if she doesn't understand that I jump at any opportunity to spend time with her...

"Sounds like a plan, love", I hooked my finger under her chin so she could see me smiling at her. Like a fragile flame in danger of being extinguished by the slightest of breath, she smiled softly back at me.

I wanted to apologise for Saturday night; for inadvertently scaring her and triggering some kind of chain reaction inside of her that I didn't fully understand. I also wanted to know the name of anyone who had even looked at her sideways and contributed to Skye's low self-esteem. It's like an Alpha instinct to protect the pack magnified a thousand times over – I am so hyper-aware of any possible threat to my mate, be that physical or psychological...

When the bell to end lunch sounded, I wanted to walk to the corner of the building and rip it off the wall – smashing the offensive device into a million tiny pieces. I have PE and then Ag, so I won't see Skye until this afternoon.

As we made our way back inside, I glanced over at my little sister and asked, Can you please keep an eye out on Skye in History?...

You don't even have to ask me that, Rose, Annie responded with a small smile. I'm becoming quite attached to the tiny little human as well...

I laughed, imagining Skye's expression if she heard herself being called 'tiny' – conscious as she was of her height. Said 'little human' looked up at me with a quizzical expression, her lips twitching in response to my laugh in spite of not knowing the reason. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, love..." I chuckled as I stopped in front of her Early Childhood class. "I'll meet you outside of History class and walk you to my car".

I hadn't even noticed that we were holding hands again – the gesture felt so natural that I didn't even register it in my mind. Like breathing or my heart pumping, it just occurs automatically... As she squeezed my fingers and whispered a heartfelt thank you, I made myself grin casually and walk away.

It's only two hours, and then you'll see her again... Grow the fuck up, Rose – it isn't that long...