Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen (Rose's POV)

Remembering my conversation with Skye earlier, I sat at the massive dinner table and instead of joining the various discussion whirring around me, I just took it all in.

I wonder what Skye would say if she were here, I considered thoughtfully as I took in the twenty-odd werewolves laughing, chewing loudly, fighting over the gravy boats and handing around platters of meat and vegetables.

Miguel and Deb sat next to Mum and Father at the head of the table, showing them pictures of baby Mya on their phones, followed by obligatory 'awws' and 'she is so cute'. I had glanced over Nate's shoulder and decided that Mya looked like a red, wrinkled old man – or maybe an alien from another planet, but decided to keep my opinion to myself. Annie's eyes softened, and she cooed at the scrunched up little face on the screen.

Melody sat with her sister Claudia, not noticing that her long ponytail was soaking up a puddle of gravy as she proudly told her Mum, Natalie, about her day. I could see Jane cutting up Cole's meat for him, so he didn't choke again – he had chosen to sit with Nic at the other end of the table rather than with his parents, already bored of photos and talk of his niece.

Micky sat with Helen, picking at his vegetables rather than eating them. He looked up and joined the teasing laughter as Amos recounted how I'd taken Nate totally by surprise during PE and given him a bloody nose, gesturing with exaggerated motions. Nate's laugh was one of the loudest as he good-naturedly took the ribbing.

I glanced down the table, hoping my parents hadn't heard the story. It would be just my luck to be withdrawn from school on my first day and never see my mate again.

I looked first to Father and saw him absorbed in asking Deb how long Alex had been in labour, then towards Mum. Her sparkling green eyes were already trained on my face, so distinctive against her dark skin. I felt the colour drain from my face, and opened my mouth to explain – but Mum just winked at me and mimed zipping her lips.

I beamed gratefully at her, so grateful that I had the coolest Mum ever.

I was distracted by Nate's Grandma Lottie asking me to pass her a bread roll; as I did so, I saw how faded her blue eyes had become in the past few years.

They are almost as light as Skye's, I compared them in my mind's eye. I sat eating a third helping of chicken smothered in gravy, deciding in the end that Skye would feel really out of place if she were here.

I compared her silent, empty house to the overwhelming amalgamation of noise and movement and colours as my pack sat enjoying their meal. I never realised how much I took my family for granted; Skye is probably eating dinner alone right now, with a television and her own thoughts to keep her company.

My back itched, and my feet shuffled as I thought of my mate and the distance between us. My fingers twitched around my knife and fork as I imagined racing back to her and keeping her company. But...

I glanced at Mickey and was reminded of something he said to me a few years back. "It kind of sucks to be an introverted werewolf; not only do I feel drained after being in a crowd of people, but all of my senses are also heightened, and I can't exactly 'turn them off' when it becomes too much".

Most wolves were naturally sociable and loud – it came with living in packs - or at least confident enough to interact with many other extroverted wolves vying for your attention. Did Mickey always go outside for "fresh air" with Sara at school because he was an introvert, and the hordes of people sometimes gave him a headache?

I recalled when I had walked out of the office and into the corridors at the school this morning; I had thought something along the lines of, There is so much to take in... Being around a group of teenage humans in a too-small school building was different from the pack gatherings I had grown up socialising in. It seemed to me that Mickey was uncomfortable whether the groups were humans or werewolves, in a school or a packhouse.

I then glanced at Helen, who was giggling at some joke Amos had cracked. When she had first started at Westwood High, Annie had told me that Helen was timid; only talking to the wolves she had been raised with and avoiding most of the humans. It took her a few months to warm up to her human classmates, but once she did, Helen was happy to go to parties and large study groups.

Is Skye an introvert as well, or shy? Does she want to become more confident and mix in bigger crowds – or is she happy to just be around a few people? I resolved to ask Annie later; she seemed to know everything, without having to be told. I could use some of her quiet conviction in reading and understanding people.

I had never really stopped to think about other people that way – to dissect their personalities and question why they behaved the way they did.

This people-watching is giving me a fucking headache, I grumbled to myself. How does Skye do this all of the time without going crazy?

Because I had helped in the preparation of dinner, I didn't have to help with the clean-up afterwards; Father moved around the table collecting dirty dishes while Helen scraped off excess food into the trash and Jane began stacking them in one of the two industrial dishwashers.

I pried Cole's grubby hands off my shirt, deposited him in his Dad's lap and waved at everyone before making my way outside the packhouse. I'm going to check on Skye - I'll be back in a few hours, I sent down the mental strands of Father, Mum, Annie and Nate.

Scarily in sync, Annie and Nate both exclaimed Stalker! at the same time. I sent back an image of me sticking up my middle finger, and decided to walk off my full stomach instead of shifting into my other form.

This would be so much harder if I were human, I chuckled to myself as I sat in my usual spot outside of Skye's house – unbothered by the rough ground underneath me or the cool breeze making the tree branches sway. Then again, if I were human, I wouldn't be stalking her, my thoughts turned sour.

I heard the soft patter of Skye's bare feet as she moved around her room, She really is a tiny thing; if she were with me right now, she might blow away in the wind.

I pondered where her Aunt was – I hadn't seen her any of the times I had been around Skye. Maybe she works late, I concluded doubtfully and felt renewed sadness for Skye always being alone.

I heard the sound of sheets rustling as my mate settled into bed; I waited to listen to the slowing of her heart and an evening out of her breathing that never came.

Thinking back on the scent of Skye's fear – harsh and unpleasant, like burnt coffee or a whiff of cigarette smoke – I tried again to figure out what was making my mate unsettled and afraid.

I found myself mirroring her restlessness, moving to cross my legs, then uncross them, then shifting my shoulders unable to find a comfortable position against the tree trunk. My heart seemed to fall in line with her rhythm as if she were the conductor of my body's orchestra. I blinked in annoyance at the crackle of leaves nearby caused by a small animal.

Before I could become too agitated and punch a tree, I heard the quiet purr of an engine as a car pulled into Skye's driveway. Curiosity ate at me as I stood and moved forward soundlessly and glanced around the side of the two-storey house. Thank fuck for my night vision...

Skye's Aunt had the same colour and texture of hair as her niece, and her eyes were equally pale – but a cold grey instead of endless blue. She wasn't too tall, and the severely cut black and white suit she wore accentuated how slim she was. And Nate thinks that I have a resting bitch face, I noted. Her pointed heels clicked softly as she walked towards her home, hair styled in a perfect updo even though she had presumably spent the whole day working.

Don't judge a book by its cover, Rose; she could be your future in-law, I told myself as I moved back to my spot.

Skye was still tossing and turning, but I heard her stop moving as a door creaked slightly open. I was curious as to what was happening above my line of sight; was this Aunt of Skye's checking in on her before she goes to bed herself? I heard as a blanket was rearranged and then the soft closing of a door.

At least Skye isn't entirely alone, I reassured myself.

I felt a little less guilty as I made my way back towards the packhouse, knowing my mate wasn't by herself in that big, silent house.