Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen (Skye's POV)

Annie – she had told me only her Father called her Anastasia – seemed like a genuine and kind person. I couldn't remember meeting someone so easy to talk to; as we chatted, I forgot to second-guess my every word and just enjoyed having company.

I wonder if she is Rose's Annie; her 'little sister'? Annie isn't really a common name... I had been picturing someone completely different in my head - younger but taller... I hope Rose didn't ask her to talk to me with me out of pity... I shook off the insecurities and focused on the fact that I had finally found a potential friend.

I walked from History class with a small smile on my face as I re-played the developments of the day. That certainly was a busy and eventful school day; Rose is here and actually seems to enjoy my company, and I spoke to people other than teachers or Sara...

I glanced at the streams of people rushing to leave the school as quickly as possible and didn't see Rose's towering figure anywhere. Admitting defeat, and resigning myself to maybe seeing her tomorrow, I began to make my way home.

My bag was heavier than usual; none of the teachers has taken pity on our unmotivated Monday-minds and, as such, I had homework for every class. I sighed, rolling my neck to try and loosen my muscles, readjusting my bag onto my other shoulder.

I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle and slowed down to glance around me. Please just let me be imagining things, again...I scanned the streets in front of me; there was nothing nefarious to be seen unless you counted an old man mowing his lawn in shorts showing so much of his pocked legs it should be illegal.

I craned my neck to look over each shoulder, only spying a few other students walking home and a car turning into a driveway.

Calm down, Skye; you are safe. I could glimpse groves of trees behind some of the houses lining the street – but tried to look past the forest and not let the memories of another forest suck me. The trees look exactly the same as the ones I remember...

Crunch, crunch, snap... crunch, crunch, snap...

It's just twigs, Skye – stay in the present. Don't think about it, just get home, so you can lock yourself in and calm down.

I forced myself not to run home, to just continue at a fast walk as if nothing in the world were amiss.

Maybe I should ask Aunt Lauren about seeing Doctor Cassidy again...

I frowned and bit down hard on my lip to distract myself, no – it's okay. You're fine. Everything is fine. Stop overreacting, you drama queen.

I continued my mental ranting the whole way home, only stopping when I had closed the heavy front door and heard the satisfying snick of the lock and the tinkle of the chain as I slotted it in place.

I went to throw my school bag on the floor and paused, Aunt Lauren can't get in if I use both locks on the front door; remember how mad she was last time... I turned around and reluctantly undid the chain, before moving into the kitchen.

I decided to make spaghetti bolognese from scratch for dinner – hoping that dicing the tomatoes and rolling out the pasta would distract me. When I still found my attention slipping, I grabbed my scratched old cell phone from the front of my bag and clicked on the music icon.

My first instinct was to select Green Day, but I knew that if Aunt Lauren came home on time and heard what she called my "trash" music playing, I would be in trouble; I sighed and moved down to Beethoven and cranked up the volume.

While dinner was slow-cooking on the stove, I gathered together all of the books and papers I needed to do my homework at the dining table. I did have a desk in my room, but the bubbling of the pasta sauce in the background was soothing.

I found myself glad that Mr Mosley was feeling particularly vindictive today and had given extra English homework on top of the already stressful level of work he usually assigned each lesson. I was only just finished answering all of the questions when I glanced at the massive chrome clock on the feature wall of the dining room.

At least I can stay busy today – and not think about... I cut off the thought before finishing it, banishing images of multi-toned trees and blood from my mind.

After dinner, I began to slog through the homework for my other classes – only taking a break to make myself a hot chocolate when I felt my brain begin to slow down.

I tried to bury the twinge of disappointment when Aunt Lauren wasn't home by nine o'clock and made my way upstairs.

It's going to be one of those nights, I just know it, I reflected as I drew a hot bath and began to strip. I could feel tears start to form in the corner of my eyes, and scrubbed angrily at them. Pull it together, Skye.

I turned the television on to the news and turned up the volume – the chatter of their voices helped to fill the silent house, even if I wasn't paying attention to what news report they were giving.

When I climbed into bed, I found myself just staring at the white ceiling dimmed by the darkness.

Crunch, crunch, snap...

I tossed and turned for what felt like hours, twisting my sheets until they looked like a wind-ravaged sea. I guess that makes the pillows strewn everywhere deserted islands.

I could feel exhaustion weighing down my eyes, but I was too agitated to sleep; the waring urges pulled me in opposite directions.

I heard the quiet closing of the front door and glanced at the digital clock on my bedside table – the red numbers told me it was 1 am. I guess Aunt Lauren was home...

I turned onto my other side and tried for the millionth time to fall asleep. I froze as the creak of my own door upset the silence, quickly pretending to be in a deep sleep.

I heard the soft sigh of my blankets against the sheets, and smelt a familiar mixture of coffee and expensive perfume, as Aunt Lauren tucked me back in and placed my abandoned pillows back on the bed.

That's sort of really sweet of her... I thought startled. But my thoughts quickly turned bitter, She was probably just making sure I was in bed asleep instead of out on the streets being a "rebellious teenager"...

It took another hour, but I eventually fell into a fitful sleep, my unconsciousness darting between flashes of dark eyes and bloodstains, and creamy hot chocolate and a husky laugh.